Woodnet Forums
Closet Organizer - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Closet Organizer (/showthread.php?tid=7347013)

Pages: 1 2

Closet Organizer - brnhornt - 03-13-2019

Hey All,

Just wanted to share a little project I just finished up.  SWMBO wanted some closet organization...used EasyClosets.com to design the space...then went about building:
[attachment=17272]

Some observations:
- Thought that going with spray paint was going to save me time and money over traditional wood finish.  It didn't.  If I do this again, I'd either foam-roll paint, or use traditional wood finishes.
- SWMBO is on the shorter side, so I intentionally made the top half of the cabinet larger...so that even with clothes hanging on the top rung, there will be some "shelf space" to place items/folded clothes.  Time will tell if that actually proves useful.

Overall a fun project that I wouldn't hesitate to do again...

RE: Closet Organizer - Cub_Cadet_GT - 03-13-2019

(03-13-2019, 09:59 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Hey All,

Just wanted to share a little project I just finished up.  SWMBO wanted some closet organization...used EasyClosets.com to design the space...then went about building:

Some observations:
- Thought that going with spray paint was going to save me time and money over traditional wood finish.  It didn't.  If I do this again, I'd either foam-roll paint, or use traditional wood finishes.
- SWMBO is on the shorter side, so I intentionally made the top half of the cabinet larger...so that even with clothes hanging on the top rung, there will be some "shelf space" to place items/folded clothes.  Time will tell if that actually proves useful.

Overall a fun project that I wouldn't hesitate to do again...

I just recently went through this in our master closet. I ended up using maple ply from the borg and stained and poly coated it. I designed it as we went and did each wall in succession changing the design a bit as we started to use what was installed. I am still enjoying the bonus points I earned on this from SWMBO! 
Yes

RE: Closet Organizer - brnhornt - 03-13-2019

(03-13-2019, 10:29 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote:  I am still enjoying the bonus points I earned on this from SWMBO!

Yes  I forgot to add that to my list of observations
Smile

RE: Closet Organizer - Cooler - 03-13-2019

I did a small closet a while back using pre-drilled white melamine panels 16" deep.  But no drawers, just shelves.  

I just went to that Easy Closet site.  They give a price for the closet design.  How did your cost compare to the calculated price from Easy closet.  

I do note that the drawers that those closet companies produce are not of "furniture quality" but I'd like to know if it makes sense to make it from plywood.  The melamine covered particle board was heavy.  But it was pre-finished and pre-drilled and a 16" x 84" upright only cost about $30.00.

I think easy closet quoted around 1500 for the four units.  After all said and done...I'm about 300 bucks in materials invested.

I made my drawers from 1/2" plywood with 1/4" ply bottoms.

RE: Closet Organizer - stav - 03-13-2019

That looks great. 

We have a smaller closet but I would love to set up some shelving in it like that.

(03-13-2019, 01:05 PM)stav Wrote: That looks great. 

We have a smaller closet but I would love to set up some shelving in it like that.

Thanks!

Check out the easyclosets.com design tool.  You enter the basic dimensions of the closet and they'll spit out the units that would work best.  There's even a small scale that if you look close enough can pull off some rough guestimates of dimensions and then draw up plans of your own.

RE: Closet Organizer - KC - 03-13-2019

(03-13-2019, 01:29 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Thanks!

Check out the easyclosets.com design tool.  You enter the basic dimensions of the closet and they'll spit out the units that would work best.  There's even a small scale that if you look close enough can pull off some rough guestimates of dimensions and then draw up plans of your own.

I did mine out of MDF with some poplar trim, rolled on the paint.  Added a drawer stack for her and one for me, a shelf cubby for each of us and a shoe rack for her.  Going in, I didn't think the added functionality was worth the bother... but I smile every time I go in the closet.   
Yes

RE: Closet Organizer - Stwood_ - 03-13-2019

(03-13-2019, 09:59 AM)brnhornt Wrote: Hey All,

Looks like a nicely done project

RE: Closet Organizer - museumguy - 03-13-2019

Very nicely done. You should be proud