Woodnet Forums
The Woodworking Show - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: The Woodworking Show (/showthread.php?tid=7347093)

Pages: 1 2

The Woodworking Show - Mike 55 - 03-17-2019

Hi Guys,

It's been 5 years since I went to one of these shows in New Jersey. I now live in SC and see that they have one in Charlotte, NC. The last one  I went to was not that great. Nothing like 20 years ago. 

Is it worth going these days?

Thanks

Mike

RE: The Woodworking Show - AHill - 03-17-2019

No. It's getting worse every year.

RE: The Woodworking Show - Handplanesandmore - 03-18-2019

With the changing buying preferences ( free shipping, online shopping, returns protection, and checkout discounts), there is no future in this kind of cross country show that charges a fee for admission, not to mention parking. It would be easier for some participating vendors to sell online and offer their costs of doing those shows (travel, food, hotel, etc.) as discounts.

Simon

RE: The Woodworking Show - FrankAtl - 03-18-2019

I was planning on going to the one in Atlanta this weekend but had family come to town and didn't get a chance. I haven't heard how good it was but I wish they would figure out a way to keep doing them and making them better. I much prefer seeing and touching something in person rather than just seeing it on the internet. I also prefer to see demonstrations in person than watching YouTube videos. Don't get me wrong...I watch a lot of YouTube especially when I'm trying to figure something out and am having a brain fart!

But alas, people are buying differently these days and the brick and mortar stores are suffering greatly because of it.
Sad

RE: The Woodworking Show - Stwood_ - 03-18-2019

I didn't attend KC this year as the cost was going to be 19.00 with parking, plus the fact Peachtree was not going to be there. Peachtree usually filled 1/3 of the show with their products.

RE: The Woodworking Show - Handplanesandmore - 03-18-2019

$19? I was at one of the early shows with free parking. One guy was selling tracks for circular saws, but the rise of popular tracks nowadays made his attendance unsustainable, I guess. I don't know if the dovetail jig guy and the one selling assembly squares still do shows these days. You can order them now online with ease with 10% off (that's your admission fee
Laugh ).

If I were a vendor, I would spend my money on creating or polishing my website, instead of traveling around the country, carrying loads of my products from show to show. It could be fun doing a show or two a year out there, but I can't imagine the labor in packing and unpacking, not to mention the kind of life on the road, if you travel alone for 4, 5 months.

Simon

RE: The Woodworking Show - Mike 55 - 03-18-2019

(03-17-2019, 10:08 AM)AHill Wrote: No.  It's getting worse every year.

Looks like I will be staying home and save the 4 hour drive, $19 fee and the sheer disappointment. Back in the 90's when I believe it was American Woodworker and Wood magazine sponsored these show they were great. All the manufactures were there and you had the chance to look, kick the tires and ask questions. I bought my Delta tablesaw, sanders and jointer at the show. Woodworkers Warehouse had a booth at the show and I picked them up the next day at their store. All my Leigh jigs were bought there too. What they did not have on hand they shipped them to me. Everything was discounted. Go the last day and you received great deals on the floor models.

Admission was like $8 and you could bring your spouse for free with a coupon.

Yup, the 90’s were a good time for Woodworking!!! 
Yes
Yes
Yes

RE: The Woodworking Show - R Clark - 03-18-2019

For me, the KC show is usually the closest.  I tried to go every other year or so.  However, that also entails a 400 mile round trip.  The last time I went, maybe 2012 or so, there was one vendor toward the back of the venue who had a lot of junk (and that's what it was) laid out on folding tables like a flea market.  For me, that was the sure sign of the decline of the shows; not worth my time, let alone the cost.

RE: The Woodworking Show - AHill - 03-18-2019

In the old days, there were plenty of live demos, lots of power tools, and the likes of folks like Graham Blackburn, Chris Schwarz, and a few other recognizable fellows from the industry. I purchased my bandsaw at one of the shows at a substantial discount, because it was used as a demo unit. Now it seems like they have more non-woodworking related things than woodworking. As far as parking goes, that's up to the venue - not the show. So, if the venue charges for parking, you pay for parking.

RE: The Woodworking Show - Stwood_ - 03-18-2019

(03-18-2019, 11:01 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: $19? I was at one of the early shows with free parking. One guy was selling tracks for circular saws, but the rise of popular tracks nowadays made his attendance unsustainable, I guess. I don't know if the dovetail jig guy and the one selling assembly squares still do shows these days. You can order them now online with ease with 10% off (that's your admission fee
Laugh ).

If I were a vendor, I would spend my money on creating or polishing my website, instead of traveling around the country, carrying loads of my products from show to show. It could be fun doing a show or two a year out there, but I can't imagine the labor in packing and unpacking, not to mention the kind of life on the road, if you travel alone for 4, 5 months.

Simon

$12.00 entry fee, after the $2.00 discount card if you have that mailer.
Then a $7.00 parking fee.

(03-18-2019, 11:45 AM)WxMan Wrote: there was one vendor toward the back of the venue who had a lot of junk (and that's what it was) laid out on folding tables like a flea market. 

Yes. He was there last year. Probably had half of the space of the show filled up.
Used/discounted/overruns/returns/closeouts