Woodnet Forums
Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) (/showthread.php?tid=7347756)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) - mongo - 04-23-2019

Glued up 4 more pannels. Next sading and planing before final glueup.

RE: Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) - mongo - 04-25-2019

Time to break out the smoothers- everything was planed and then given initial sanding before glueing. Obligatory shaving pics

Then started glueing up the dovetails. Sice I didnt have long enough clamps I used the super glue and blue tape trick. works amazing. I learned it from this video but aparently it has been around a while https://youtu.be/K8i8qEnHA58

One side down---------

RE: Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) - mongo - 05-01-2019

trim is attached. 

sizing and cutting the back pannel is next.

RE: Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) - mongo - 05-19-2019

I kinda let the posts slide since there didnt seem to be much interest either good or bad.

For any who wanted to see the finished product here it is.

RE: Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) - AgGEM - 05-20-2019

End result looks great.
Thank you for the ride!
Ag

RE: Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) - Bill Holt - 05-20-2019

Thanks for the show, but my pop corn is ready yet.

Looks like you did a great job...especially on the stain!  How did you overcome the "blotchy" effect poplar is famous for?  Will your process work for a light color stain?

RE: Entry way bench/shoe rack buid along(in progress) - mongo - 05-20-2019

Nothing fancy for the stain itself. All surfaces were hand planed and then sanded with 120 grit on the ROS.

On this piece I used a wood aging product before the stain. let that dry and then lightly knocked the raised grain off with a grey 3m pad.

Then I applied the stain with shop paper towels. After about 10 min I wiped back any excess and did any blending that was nessisary.

Once that was dry I sprayed coats of dewaxed garnet shellac, followed by a whole lot of coats of lacquer. Sanded lightly between every few coats to even out the surface since a higher gloss was desired.

Not sure how this would work with a different stain but as much as they are maligned I have always found the minwax oil stains to work well. Dont enjoy using them for the smell but they do work. I just use a proper respirator when applying.