Woodnet Forums
Stanley #2 - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Stanley #2 (/showthread.php?tid=7347943)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Stanley #2 - David Katz - 04-29-2019

(04-29-2019, 03:44 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I would estimate the base casting to be about .125" thick...I think you could remove .030" easily without harming the strength very much..Much of the strength is in the sides of the casting anyway...If I were doing the grinding/flattening,, I would leave the blade clamped in place.

You'd open the mouth so wide that no one would buy it, or if they did, they'd be upset when they got it. It would likely be unusable.

RE: Stanley #2 - Admiral - 04-29-2019

(04-29-2019, 04:31 PM)David Katz Wrote: You'd open the mouth so wide that no one would buy it, or if they did, they'd be upset when they got it. It would likely be unusable.

Well, really, with the existing repair, any buyer is going to buy it for parts only.  IMHO, the OP has got nothing to lose.  Jack is right about a belt sander, but that can get touchy, takes some skill.

RE: Stanley #2 - Timberwolf - 04-29-2019

(04-29-2019, 04:31 PM)David Katz Wrote: You'd open the mouth so wide that no one would buy it, or if they did, they'd be upset when they got it. It would likely be unusable.
Taking less than 1/32" off the sole should widen the opening about .0015" by my guesstimations, assuming the opening of the casting forward of the blade is beveled towards the front..If it's not bevelled it won't enlarge it at all.

RE: Stanley #2 - Bibliophile 13 - 04-29-2019

That’s a nice little plane there. Very much worth fixing up.

Don’t worry about the mouth opening up. A closely set chipbreaker works just as well for eliminating tear out.

RE: Stanley #2 - gjohn - 04-29-2019

Can the toe be removed at the old break and re-brazed, this time with a focus on keeping the bed in line? 

Suggestion is not based on having done such a thing, just a thought.

RE: Stanley #2 - stav - 04-30-2019

I agree that it is a nice plane despite the break.  I'm hoping to be able to put it to use.  I do have to admit that I am quite green in the area of hand tools, that is the reason for all the questions. That and I don't want to mess it up considering how close it is to being useful.  Not like that other no name plane I tried to rehab.  Best not to talk about that one.

RE: Stanley #2 - AHill - 04-30-2019

Before attempting to flatten the sole any more than you've already tried, how does it work? If it's working fine, don't mess with it.

RE: Stanley #2 - Timberwolf - 04-30-2019

(04-30-2019, 07:59 AM)AHill Wrote: Before attempting to flatten the sole any more than you've already tried, how does it work?  If it's working fine, don't mess with it.
I agree....IMO, the #2 ranks right up there with the "usefulness" of the #1.....fun to look at, but that's about it.
Crazy ..OTOH, the #3 is a sweet little dude...
Big Grin

It did work pretty good, although I got a big blister on my thumb because there is nowhere to grasp the plane really other than the front knob. The tote is best just pushed in my opinion.  That leaves your hand looking for something to hold on to.

New related question. How fragile is this plane with the repair that it has?  Obviously no one can really asses it without examining it. I'm looking for a more general idea of how strong this type of repair would be. Do I need to handle the plane like it is made of glass or is it ok for regular use?