Woodnet Forums
Out of the scrap bin - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Out of the scrap bin (/showthread.php?tid=7348140)

Out of the scrap bin - SceneryMaker - 05-09-2019

Captain Eddie had a video or 2 about turning pens that use the guts from a cheap Bic pen (a box of 15 for a buck) so I thought I would try it.

Most of these came from a small piece of cherry that's been laying around for a few decades. Can't throw the stick away because it could be useful some day. Right?

RE: Out of the scrap bin - Stwood_ - 05-09-2019

Not bad.
Cool 

That must have been a long stick.....
Winkgrin

RE: Out of the scrap bin - SceneryMaker - 05-09-2019

(05-09-2019, 07:56 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Not bad.
Cool 

That must have been a long stick.....
Winkgrin

When your blank only needs to be 1" square by 8" to 10" long, a stick makes a lot of blanks.

RE: Out of the scrap bin - Arlin Eastman - 05-10-2019

(05-09-2019, 07:39 PM)SceneryMaker Wrote: Captain Eddie had a video or 2 about turning pens that use the guts from a cheap Bic pen (a box of 15 for a buck) so I thought I would try it.  

Most of these came from a small piece of cherry that's been laying around for a few decades.  Can't throw the stick away because it could be useful some day.  Right?

I did the same thing for me and the vets years ago.  I bought 5 boxes and everyone liked doing it and easy to put new ink in, however they do not quite write the same as the other ones. I also did have to get a special drill bit for it so it fit better of which I think was 5/32 but not sure right now.

RE: Out of the scrap bin - wjt - 05-11-2019

When making Bic pens on the lathe be sure to check the diameter of the 'innards' of the pens. The plastic connector - the part between the ink tube and the brass tip - that is pressed into the turned pen varies. The Bic pens I had needed a 17/64" bit where the smaller ones take a 5/32" bit.

Bill

RE: Out of the scrap bin - Rodneywt1180b - 05-13-2019

(05-10-2019, 10:47 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I did the same thing for me and the vets years ago.  I bought 5 boxes and everyone liked doing it and easy to put new ink in, however they do not quite write the same as the other ones.  I also did have to get a special drill bit for it so it fit better of which I think was 5/32 but not sure right now.

I remember the Bics having a tiny hole near the top so air could get in as you write. Without it I don't think the ink would flow like it's supposed to.