Woodnet Forums
exterior elec outlet for deck - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: exterior elec outlet for deck (/showthread.php?tid=7348304)

exterior elec outlet for deck - varkpilot - 05-20-2019

Used to have planters surrounding deck and two ext outlets were mounted on planter sides.

Local elec supply store found two sources for EXTERIOR floor-mounted outlets but they are over $50.

One outlet provides power to a water feature so it will always be connected to the outlet.  I'm concerned about safety.

Options other than floor-mounted outlets?

RE: exterior elec outlet for deck - messmaker - 05-20-2019

You could mount a standard outside outlet on the underside of the deck. It would be out of sight,and protected from a good bit of the weather. I would think it would be much cheaper.

RE: exterior elec outlet for deck - Snipe Hunter - 05-20-2019

The outdoor receptacles should be GFCI. Wired no differently than any other. That should take care of your safety concerns.
If it's always plugged in, I'd probably change from floor mount to a wall mount if possible so the lid can stay closed and stay weather resistant while the cords are plugged in.
something like this

I don't believe the receptacle comes with the box kit

RE: exterior elec outlet for deck - varkpilot - 05-20-2019

[quote='varkpilot' pid='7750409' dateline='1558352404']
Used to have planters surrounding deck and two ext outlets were mounted on planter sides.

Local elec supply store found two sources for EXTERIOR floor-mounted outlets but they are over $50.

One outlet provides power to a water feature so it will always be connected to the outlet.  I'm concerned about safety.

Options other than floor-mounted outlets?
If mounted under-deck, I would have to install a small "trap door" in order to plug in any appliance??

RE: exterior elec outlet for deck - Cooler - 05-20-2019

[Image: FH04APR_OUTLIG_05.jpg]I would mount a couple of posts,  or posts and railing for the upper portion of the deck.  Or perhaps fixed seating for that section.  Then I would mount the junction box to the posts.

https://cdn2.tmbi.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/display/FH04APR_OUTLIG_05.jpg