Woodnet Forums
shopfox w1852 - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: shopfox w1852 (/showthread.php?tid=7348556)

shopfox w1852 - wgbaggs - 06-02-2019

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a long time. So, I'm going to open a can of worms, and ask for opinions on the shopfox w1852. It's very similar to the grizzly G0766 and the Jet 1840. I'm looking to this lathe this fall. There isn't much on this lathe in terms of reviews or videos. Thought I would throw it out to the collective wisdom here. Thanks.

Bill

RE: shopfox w1852 - Angus - 06-02-2019

Shopfox is Grizzly.  Grizzly brand is for direct sales shopfox brand is for retailers.

RE: shopfox w1852 - Angus - 06-02-2019

I should have added, if you look for reviews on the grizzly they should be the same for the shopfox. The research I've done on the grizzlt model has been pretty positive. Enough so that I've decided my next lathe will be the G0766. Unless this year breaks all my records for sales and I can go Robust. Just something to keep in mind, the prices on the griz zand shopfox may be going up due to the trade issues with china.

RE: shopfox w1852 - wgbaggs - 06-02-2019

In general I agree. It should be noted there are differences. The G0766 has 3 hp motor that draws 4 amps. The Jet knock off has a 2hp motor that draws 5 amps. The shopfox W1852 has a 3hp motor that draws 8 amps. All three of these machines are made in the same factory. I'm curious if there are also fit and finish differences, etc. Online reviews have not been helpful. Another bonus for me is there is vendor for shopfox one half mile from my house. No shipping to pay.