Woodnet Forums
Which tool would you upgrade first? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Which tool would you upgrade first? (/showthread.php?tid=7348576)

Pages: 1 2 3

Which tool would you upgrade first? - nocrapman - 06-03-2019

Getting the itch for a new tool.
I am a hobbyist making furniture/turning for self/family/friends. No income from the woodworking. I am a psychiatrist by profession - This is my therapy.
The three under consideration are an a 6 inch RIDGID jointer, 13 inch RIDGID planer and a 14inch RIKON bandsaw.
They all work fine.
3 options:

1. Get a 15-16 inch planer - more capacity to plane and thickness. But the supermax 18-36 can always sub for now for wider panels

2. Upgrade to a 8 inch jointer with helical cutters.

3. Upgrade to a serious Italian bandsaw like the MM16 or even the Italian Lagunas. Will likely keep the Rikon for smaller blades.

What do you guys recommend?

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - DFJarvie - 06-03-2019

If you do turning the bandsaw would no 1. To be able to prepare blanks especially if you get logs from trees. The chain saw only gets them so round.

The jointer would be next then the planer.

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - Woodenfish - 06-03-2019

You’re a psychiatrist, buy them all. My bill is in the mail.

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - chips ahoy - 06-03-2019

Oneway lathe and some chucks.

Mel

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - WoodCzech - 06-03-2019

I have similar to what you have. The 6-inch Rigid jointer, 13 inch DeWalt planer and a 14-inch Grizzly bandsaw.  By far the most issues I hit due to the machine size are with the jointer, so that's what would upgrade.

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - Admiral - 06-03-2019

Bandsaw, hands down. Most versatile power tool out there.

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - shoottmx - 06-03-2019

(06-03-2019, 03:22 PM)Woodenfish Wrote: You’re a psychiatrist, buy them all. My bill is in the mail.

awesome response!!  
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

g

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - daddo - 06-03-2019

What do you think?

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - Arlin Eastman - 06-03-2019

I have pretty good tools now that do what I need including a big 5hp bandsaw the VA got me.

I would love to have a 10" - 12" jointer tho.

RE: Which tool would you upgrade first? - Hank Knight - 06-04-2019

The answer to your question probably boils down to your personal preference and how you work. I'm aware that there are many, many woodworkers who can't live without their bandsaws. I'm not one of them. I have a big Laguna and I use it a lot; but my most used machine, other than my table saw, is my jointer/planer. I have a small shop and don't have the space for a separate jointer and planer. Instead, I have a Hammer A3-31 12" combo jointer/planer. It is a very robust and accurate machine, capable producing very nice surfaces and edges. Every project involves a lot of time dressing and dimensioning rough sawn boards on this machine. I wouldn't want to, but I could live without my bandsaw; but I couldn't live without my jointer planer. It's the workhorse in my shop.

My $.02.

Hank