Woodnet Forums
Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? (/showthread.php?tid=7348936)

Pages: 1 2 3

Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - tedrussell - 06-24-2019

I'm getting ready to install ductwork for a new wood shop.  I have most of the duct pieces assembled.  I know I need to seal the joints between the individual duct pieces, but now am wondering if I needed to seal the lengthwise joints in the snap together duct pieces.  Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Ted

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - meackerman - 06-24-2019

I did with foil tape.

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - R Clark - 06-24-2019

I did, too.  Saw it done on HVAC systems on This Old House, in YouTube vids on other people's DC systems.

Figured it was cheap and easy to do while the system was still in pieces at floor level; much easier than trying to find and seal leakage after the system is installed.

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - Ray Newman - 06-24-2019

Back in "Oh One", I installed a DC system and duct work in the new shop. Sealed all of the duct joints with aluminum foil type HVAC duct tape. Went to a HVAC supplier and asked about a good, long lasting brand.  I purchased the recommended duct tape and after 19 years, the tape is till in place and no leaks. The tape was not cheap, but in the long run it was cheap insurance and prevented air leaks.

Applied the tape lengthwise and on the joints as each piece was installed. Easier to do then trying to go back and do when it is hanging from the ceiling.

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - meackerman - 06-24-2019

Just don't use 'duct tape' to seal them....

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - fredhargis - 06-24-2019

As they said: you d need to seal them. The foil tape really is the best approach to this.

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - tedrussell - 06-26-2019

Thanks to all. An HVAC guy I know said to use duct seal for the joints between sections. So my plan is to do that, but use foil tape for the lengthwise joints. Sound like a good plan?

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - Bill Wilson - 06-26-2019

(06-24-2019, 02:04 PM)meackerman Wrote: Just don't use 'duct tape' to seal them....

Kind of ironic that duct tape is great for just about everything, except sealing ducts.

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - meackerman - 06-26-2019

(06-26-2019, 09:25 AM)tedrussell Wrote: Thanks to all.  An HVAC guy I know said to use duct seal for the joints between sections.  So my plan is to do that, but use foil tape for the lengthwise joints.  Sound like a good plan?

I've used both and duct sealant probably works better, but foil tape was easier for me.

RE: Do I need to seal lengthwise ductwork joints? - fredhargis - 06-26-2019

Not knowing what "duct seal" is, I'm guessing this is some kind of plastic-like goo you work into the joint? Anyway, at some point (trust me on this) you will want to take that ductwork apart. It could be a new tool needing a new leg, a rearrange of the shop, or (god forbid) a clog. The foil may be a little easier to break the seal since it's on the outside.