Woodnet Forums
No 5 Clean Up - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: No 5 Clean Up (/showthread.php?tid=7348966)

No 5 Clean Up - ajkoontz - 06-26-2019

[attachment=19045]
Nothing special about this #5, except that it's the first one my 12YO son and I did together. It was his grandpa's plane. Well... it's not a plane that grandpa used in his WW shop, but it's a plane he found in grandpa's junk pile so he thought that was pretty cool. I didn't take a before pic but it was pretty rusty. Soaked in evaporust and then cleaned up with sandpaper and scotchbrite pads. Sanded and tongue oil on the wood. Had to steal a nut for the handle and a blade from another plane. It's got some nasty backlash in the adjustment screw, but it's making whispy shavings now and will be a great 'starter' plane for the boy. He didn't do as much of the grunt work as I would have liked, but he did help and he's very proud of his new plane.

RE: No 5 Clean Up - Alan S - 06-26-2019

Looks great. A little backlash is easy to work around, and the connections to his grandpa and you should make it special to him. And more so with time.

RE: No 5 Clean Up - Bibliophile 13 - 06-26-2019

That's great to see. On a jack plane especially, backlash isn't much of a problem. It gets annoying on a smoothing plane, but jack planes don't usually need so much fine adjustment. Hope your son makes lots and lots of shavings with it!

RE: No 5 Clean Up - Greg Jones - 06-26-2019

Looks great! And by the way, a Silpat makes for a pretty expensive bench mat!

RE: No 5 Clean Up - ajkoontz - 06-26-2019

(06-26-2019, 02:18 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: Looks great! And by the way, a Silpat makes for a pretty expensive bench mat!

Shhhh, don't tell the wife I stole her cutting mat for the shop.