Woodnet Forums
Picked today... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Picked today... (/showthread.php?tid=7348982)

Picked today... - bandit571 - 06-27-2019

at a garage sale....spent 50 cents..
Winkgrin 
[attachment=19055]
The Stanley completes a set....6"  No. 3 phillips
Cool 
[attachment=19056]
However, the other item is for starting a screw....
Confused 
[attachment=19057]
An Irwin #900?   Might come in handy?  
Rolleyes 

May have to go out tomorrow, and check the other sales going on...
Rolleyes

RE: Picked today... - bandit571 - 06-28-2019

Day 2......$3?
[attachment=19073]
Square has the SW markings...
[attachment=19074]
Chisel seems to be a 3/4" Framer...
Confused
[attachment=19075]
been beat up a bit?
Rolleyes  
[attachment=19076]
back is flat...
Not too bad of a morning?   Square is an 8" all metal....

RE: Picked today... - jstraw - 06-29-2019

Those should clean up and come in handy. Great price.

I have to force myself to ignore the yard and estate sales. I have no self control when I see a deal. I have only been to one this year and my wife wanted to stop by it. I almost picked up an antique veneer dresser that needed some TLC. But, I need to focus on new projects, not restoration work. I talked myself out of that one.

Not so with the tools. I picked up 2 tools for $2, total. But they needed work. First was a black Arkansas stone that is clogged and needs cleaning. The second was a Stanley #4, type 8, that needed derusting and tote repair. It’s currently spread over my shop, waiting for reassembling. I already have 4 of the same plane and will need to get rid of one. I filled my shop with yard sale finds and have reached the saturation point.

RE: Picked today... - Admiral - 06-29-2019

(06-29-2019, 08:29 AM)jstraw Wrote: Those should clean up and come in handy.   Great price.

I have to force myself to ignore the yard and estate sales.  I have no self control when I see a deal. 

I picked up an older Delta dust collector, just because.... I'm thinking of getting a wide belt sander and it will come in handy for that;  also, a NOS Delta tenoning jig, with a $99 price tag on it, that I'd gladly sell for $50 but shipping would kill the deal...  I guess I could use another....  
Laugh

RE: Picked today... - bandit571 - 06-29-2019

Been one of those weekends...$8...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=19088]
1-1/2", 1-1/4'', 1-1/4" and a skinny 5/8"
Cool
[attachment=19089]
Might be worth cleaning these up?
Winkgrin

RE: Picked today... - bandit571 - 06-30-2019

Ok..the widest chisel has been cleaned up, and sharpened....the "before" edge would have had trouble cutting warm butter.....all 4 metal caps have been well beatened, by a hammer with a dimpled face....carpenters....

That 5/8" wide one?    will need a lot of work....as someone had ground a second bevel.....into the flat back....making a wedge out of it....will ground & dunk to get back past the double bevel....

Same with the one medium width one.....someone used it to open paint cans....and chipped out a chunk in the middle of the blade's edge...

While out and about, also picked a B&D 20v Li drill...2 speed, 10 clutch settings....$2...already have a couple chargers, and a few spare batteries..now have a spare drill, too.    That way, when one drill is down, I just grab the other, and continue on....works for me...

RE: Picked today... - Timberwolf - 06-30-2019

(06-29-2019, 02:34 PM)Admiral Wrote: I picked up an older Delta dust collector, just because.... I'm thinking of getting a wide belt sander and it will come in handy for that;  also, a NOS Delta tenoning jig, with a $99 price tag on it, that I'd gladly sell for $50 but shipping would kill the deal...  I guess I could use another....  
Laugh

I have some heavy duty vises but shipping vises and anvils is a PITA so they'll likely end up in a yard sale or hopefully a tool meet...
Crazy

RE: Picked today... - Timberwolf - 06-30-2019

(06-30-2019, 09:38 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Ok..the widest chisel has been cleaned up, and sharpened....the "before" edge would have had trouble cutting warm butter.....all 4 metal caps have been well beatened, by a hammer with a dimpled face....carpenters....

That 5/8" wide one?    will need a lot of work....as someone had ground a second bevel.....into the flat back....making a wedge out of it....will ground & dunk to get back past the double bevel....

Same with the one medium width one.....someone used it to open paint cans....and chipped out a chunk in the middle of the blade's edge...

While out and about, also picked a B&D 20v Li drill...2 speed, 10 clutch settings....$2...already have a couple chargers, and a few spare batteries..now have a spare drill, too.    That way, when one drill is down, I just grab the other, and continue on....works for me...
Too many folks sell those Stanley #60 short...With the original temper, they were danged good chisels.If they don't hold a good edge, they were probably "blued" py a previous "woodworker" on a grinder
Rolleyes .But they can be re-hardened if done carefully...clamp a pair of Vise-Grips high up on the shank to act as a heat sink and keep the high heat away from the handle. Heat quickly and quench...