Woodnet Forums
Dewalt vs Milwaukee 18V system? And: Drill vs. Hammer Drill. - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dewalt vs Milwaukee 18V system? And: Drill vs. Hammer Drill. (/showthread.php?tid=7349112)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Dewalt vs Milwaukee 18V system? And: Drill vs. Hammer Drill. - DerekMPBS - 07-08-2019

I've been with Dewalt for awhile and have several of their 20V tools.  The impact driver is great.  I stripped the clutch out on a 3 year old hammer drill, but got it repaired for $75 by an authorized service center.  I have the jigsaw, oscillating saw, circular saw and a regular drill as well.

If you want the better tools, you might look for a dealer that does an event like our local store does.  They do a build-a-kit twice a year, where you buy two bare tools and get 2 batteries (5ah), a charger and a bag for free.  This allows you to buy the brushless tools and still get the advantages of a kit.

If you need more power, Dewalt offers the Flexvolt system, which uses 60V batteries and can supply some serious muscle.  I've heard that the worm-drive saw is a match for the corded version, and the grinder is great as well.  I plan on getting the Flexvolt grinder and reciprocating saw, and have my eye on the 20V router and palm sander.

I have the 40V blower and trimmer, and those things are beasts.  They have as much power as gas models without the engine maintenance.  I've been super happy with them.

RE: Dewalt vs Milwaukee 18V system? And: Drill vs. Hammer Drill. - KyleD - 07-08-2019

I own the 18V Milwaukee drill and driver combo. there are several things I do not like. The soft black over-moulding has pealed off in several areas. The drill chuck is so-so. Does not tighten as well as it should and the clutch adjustment tends to self adjust. The batteries and tools are still working fine after 4 years of use though. I love the small impact driver. It drives screws great and with a socket adapter it really makes mechanical jobs faster and easier.

Now on to your question, I would not get the hammer function drill. The weight gain might seem small but you will notice it. Also the hammer function is real wimpy on these drills. If you ever plan to use it on cured concrete you will be disappointed. 
I have the smaller SDS HF hammer drill. It works well and even drills 1/2 holes in cured concrete for anchors.
If you use a HF coupon the money you save not buying the Milwaukee hammer drill will probably get you a third the way to the HF hammer drill.