Woodnet Forums
choosing between two 10in bandsaws - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: choosing between two 10in bandsaws (/showthread.php?tid=7349516)

Pages: 1 2

RE: choosing between two 10in bandsaws - Ohio Mike - 08-11-2019

(07-31-2019, 12:21 PM)omark Wrote: Hi,

I would like to get advice on choosing between two bandsaws: WEN 10in or Rikon 10in (10-306). Never had or used bansaw before.  I intend to use it mostly to rip/resaw softwood (for example 2x4), maybe also some thinner hardwood. I guess wih 4tpi 3/8in blade for everything.

Advantages I see for WEN are: standard size of the blade, possibility to order and pick up from local Home Depot, 6in thick resawing.

Advantages for Rikon: lever for quick tensioning, maybe better design/quality?
However blade length is non-standard.

I would appreciate comments on other aspects of bandsaws which I may not know or considered, thanks.
Miroslaw

15% off Rikon tools at Woodcraft right now.

RE: choosing between two 10in bandsaws - TGW - 08-12-2019

My first ever bandsaw was and is a 100 years old 24 inch E.V.Beronius.
It is very costly to upgrade step by step from one machine to another and then to a third and a fourth so I decided to buy a saw that is likely to cover my needs in the foreseeable future. As I am mechanically inclined and have tools for metal fabrication I could buy a very old saw and upgrade it to modern safety standards on a very small budget.

This is definitely not the best route for everyone but I think that before you spend any money you should spend a little while thinking through your present and future needs as well and vat recources you are better supplied with. Buying new requires only money and buying and rebuilding a 100 years old wreck requres mostly time....... and between those extremes thare are plenty of opportunities for those who have some time and some money.

RE: choosing between two 10in bandsaws - omark - 08-15-2019

Thank you for all responses, you gave me great deal to think about.
Miroslaw

RE: choosing between two 10in bandsaws - mdhills - 08-15-2019

(08-15-2019, 08:19 AM)omark Wrote: Thank you for all responses, you gave me great deal to think about.
Miroslaw

I'd also recommend watching Peter Millard's videos comparing some bandsaws.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNClPBQy_Es

Matt