Woodnet Forums
Magnetic Stirrer - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Magnetic Stirrer (/showthread.php?tid=7349642)

Magnetic Stirrer - Mr Eddie - 08-07-2019

Anyone else use a magnetic stirrer for mixing shellac?  I cooked up my second batch today (feeling a little like Walter White) and it seemed to do a great job.  I started it spinning mid-morning and turned it off after I got home from the grocery - about 8 hours.

[attachment=19886]

[attachment=19887]

It looked very clear and the shellac flakes seem fully dissolved.  I'll see what it looks like in the morning after it has had all night to settle.

Lonnie

RE: Magnetic Stirrer - jteneyck - 08-08-2019

(08-07-2019, 06:34 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: Anyone else use a magnetic stirrer for mixing shellac?  I cooked up my second batch today (feeling a little like Walter White) and it seemed to do a great job.  I started it spinning mid-morning and turned it off after I got home from the grocery - about 8 hours.

It looked very clear and the shellac flakes seem fully dissolved.  I'll see what it looks like in the morning after it has had all night to settle.

Lonnie

To each his own.  I use Sealcoat shellac and add Transtint dye to it to get any color I want.  Sealcoat is the cheapest dewaxed shellac you can buy and keeps at least 2 years.