Woodnet Forums
Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? (/showthread.php?tid=7349733)

Pages: 1 2

Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - 5thumbs - 08-13-2019

I have a project that requires wavy cuts in approx. 2" thick hardwoods (birch & Cherry).  I'm looking at acquiring a small bandsaw or a scroll saw. While either would probably work, I can only but one right now as my budget and shop space are limited.

My question is - which tool is more useful overall?

If you recommend a scroll saw, which one would you choose? (I'm looking at benchtop models only.)

If you recommend a bandsaw, which one would your choose? (again, looking at 9 or 10" benchtop models)

Thanks in advance for your help.

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - stav - 08-13-2019

I have a Dremel scroll saw and have used it to cut 2x4 material for kid projects.  It is painfully slow even with a new corse cutting blade.  If you can make the cuts with a band saw, I would go that route.  It will be faster for this project and more useful in the long run.  I don't really use my scroll saw very often to be honest.  If I had to pick a saw for you to buy, it would be an old Delta or Homecraft model.  The "Gumby" Homecraft is a very nice saw.  They are usually not that expensive either.  Finding one can be a problem.

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - mdhills - 08-13-2019

How much of your work matches this job description (wavy cuts in 2" stock)?

2" hardwood is bandsaw territory  (scroll saw can limp along, but this isn't its sweet spot)
"wavy cuts" sounds more like bandsaw types of curves than intricate scroll saw curves.
Does a 10" bandsaw give you enough throat clearance?  (what are the length/width of your workpieces?)
Do you need to do interior cuts?  (easy on scroll saw; this is a cut&reglue job on bandsaw)

Where are you located?  Finding a good-condition used bandsaw will tend to give you better capacity for the $$.

Matt

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - Bill Wilson - 08-13-2019

I'm a scroll saw enthusiast.  My scroll saw is probably the most expensive tool in my shop.  That said, this sounds like a job for a bandsaw.  Scroll saws will but wood that thick, but it isn't their strong suit.  A bandsaw would likely be more versatile.

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - 5thumbs - 08-13-2019

(08-13-2019, 09:03 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I'm a scroll saw enthusiast.  My scroll saw is probably the most expensive tool in my shop.  That said, this sounds like a job for a bandsaw.  Scroll saws will but wood that thick, but it isn't their strong suit.  A bandsaw would likely be more versatile.

Thanks to all who replied. I was worried about the ability of a scroll saw to make these cuts. Sine I mostly work in hardwood, I'll look for a bandsaw.

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - John Mihich - 08-13-2019

If it's truly 2" then the scroll saw probably will not work.  I have the Dewalt and it does I believe 1.75.  I love my saw but that is a limitation.  As for BS - That's the way I would go.  I have a 12" Craftsman and it does 2" material w/o an issue.  I use to have a 10" and it still did fine.

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - hcbph - 08-14-2019

(08-13-2019, 01:04 PM)John Mihich Wrote: If it's truly 2" then the scroll saw probably will not work.  I have the Dewalt and it does I believe 1.75.  I love my saw but that is a limitation.  As for BS - That's the way I would go.  I have a 12" Craftsman and it does 2" material w/o an issue.  I use to have a 10" and it still did fine.

I have a scroll saw along with a couple of bandsaws.  If you're cutting 2" hardwood, I'd agree a scrollsaw is not the weapon of choice in this case.
Depending on how tight the turns are on your project, provided your saw will handle such a blade then consider something like a 1/4" blade if it's tight turns.

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - Teak - 08-14-2019

Scroll saw's are great at making intricate patterns in 1/4" or thinner stock which can subsequently be used as a template for a router after rough cutting stock with a jig saw or band saw. Really comes down to what approach you want to take for a project.

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - mdhills - 08-14-2019

Good point on templates. But would probably still want a bandsaw to rough the curves before final cleanup with router and template.

I have cut thick hardwood with scrollsaw for some projects before I had a bandsaw. It worked, but did not feel like it was ideal for that purpose.

Heck, you can use a coping saw—definitely viable for a project or two. I think a lot depends on what your future projects expect to use lots of.

Matt

RE: Bandsaw or Scroll saw???? - mike4244 - 08-14-2019

(08-13-2019, 06:58 AM)5thumbs Wrote: I have a project that requires wavy cuts in approx. 2" thick hardwoods (birch & Cherry).  I'm looking at acquiring a small bandsaw or a scroll saw. While either would probably work, I can only but one right now as my budget and shop space are limited.

My question is - which tool is more useful overall?

If you recommend a scroll saw, which one would you choose? (I'm looking at benchtop models only.)

If you recommend a bandsaw, which one would your choose? (again, looking at 9 or 10" benchtop models)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bandsaw for sure. I would look for a 12" or 14" bandsaw as I have used a 10" saw, Delta I think. Woefully under powered. You may have trouble cutting any 2" hardwood with a 10" saw. Possibly the 10" saws are better then the junk I was given 20+ years ago. I would do a search for reviews on any saw you may consider.

mike