Woodnet Forums
Saw Sharpening - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Saw Sharpening (/showthread.php?tid=7349892)

Pages: 1 2

Saw Sharpening - fptahoe - 08-23-2019

I have an old Disston hand saw in need of sharpening.  Any recommendations in the Bucks County, PA area?  Thanks in advance...FPT

RE: Saw Sharpening - RonB1957 - 08-23-2019

Take a look at Blackburns Tools. Seems like he is in your area/ state.

RE: Saw Sharpening - Admiral - 08-23-2019

Issac at Blackburn stopped taking handsaws for sharpening several years ago. In a year or so when I retire, I'll start taking in some work, but don't have the time right now.

RE: Saw Sharpening - brianwelch - 08-24-2019

(08-23-2019, 07:43 AM)fptahoe Wrote: I have an old Disston hand saw in need of sharpening.  Any recommendations in the Bucks County, PA area?  Thanks in advance...FPT

Took mine to a well known, old school, hardware store in Newtown. They send out for sharpening. Was definitely not satisfied...
I think I am going to learn how to sharpen myself one of these days/weeks/months/years...

RE: Saw Sharpening - jasfrank - 08-24-2019

Box up your saws and send them to Bob Page. He goes by “Engineer” on this forum. He has done a few for me. Always top notch service. I doubt you could find any better.

RE: Saw Sharpening - Admiral - 08-24-2019

(08-24-2019, 07:38 AM)jasfrank Wrote: Box up your saws and send them to Bob Page. He goes by “Engineer” on this forum. He has done a few for me. Always top notch service. I doubt you could find any better.

Bob knows what he is doing for sure.

RE: Saw Sharpening - Admiral - 08-24-2019

(08-24-2019, 04:09 AM)brianwelch Wrote: Took mine to a well known, old school, hardware store in Newtown. They send out for sharpening. Was definitely not satisfied...
I think I am going to learn how to sharpen myself one of these days/weeks/months/years...

About 10 years ago I did something similar, when the saw came back it looked nice, but cut like a butterknife.  That's when I decided to learn how to sharpen saws.

RE: Saw Sharpening - MarkSingleton - 08-24-2019

I bought some online, some at yard/estate sales. Watched videos, read this forum , etc.

Dove in and sharpened a few saws. Not that hard at all.

We're tool guys here... you CAN do it!!

RE: Saw Sharpening - msweig - 08-24-2019

I on the other hand have sharpened a few saws, have the equipment, etc. And have come to the conclusion that I hate doing it. I need to send out a few to be sharpened, and just sell the equipment. But like is typical for me I haven't gotten around to it.
Smile

RE: Saw Sharpening - fptahoe - 08-24-2019

Thanks to all. 

Admiral, I did try to send Engineer a PM but he apparently has not enabled that feature so he can not receive my message.  Maybe he will see this and PM me.  Thx again!