Woodnet Forums
Measure twice, cut multiple times - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Measure twice, cut multiple times (/showthread.php?tid=7349916)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - John Mihich - 08-26-2019

Did similar except too big. 

I did a kitchen for one of my daughters.  Of course corner cabinets aren't 24x24 but 36x36 - at least in this kitchen.  I had the plans and I clearly marked it 36".  After I built it I thought I put down the wrong measurement - so I changed it to 24".  So that meant the next cabinet I made 12" wider.  Got to install and realized the mistake.  I couldn't use the cabinet in that spot.  Got lucky because it could fit in another spot where there was going to be a shelf unit.  So instead of a shelf unit we put the cabinet there then extended the counter top.

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - 5thumbs - 08-26-2019

It's been my experience that the piece cut incorrectly is directly related to the cost of the wood. When I build out of pine, almost all the cuts are perfect. When I try something like bubinga or mahogany, well...….

At least I have a wood burning stove!

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - rwe2156 - 08-26-2019

My first thought was add a faux drawer to the top of the doors.

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - wood-chips - 08-26-2019

Recent night stand in walnut. I was building the door parts and moving along quite nicely. So nice that I drilled euro hinge cup holes in ALL the stiles
Angry Fortunately the doors weren't assembled and I only had to make two new stiles.

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - Handplanesandmore - 08-26-2019

(08-26-2019, 09:09 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: My first thought was add a faux drawer to the top of the doors.

Clever!

Simon

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - Duane N - 08-26-2019

(08-26-2019, 09:09 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: My first thought was add a faux drawer to the top of the doors.

My first thought after realizing my mistake was to try to make it an actual drawer then after thinking about how much work that was going to be on a finished cabinet I was going to make a false door as you suggested.  In the end I made the correct size doors...it took me all day but worth it in the end. 

[attachment=20203]

[attachment=20204]

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - Stwood_ - 08-27-2019

I made a corner drawer once. I decided it was way to much effort for a drawer.

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - Tony Z - 08-31-2019

Ya did it right Duane! Any other fix would have bugged you forever and better to drop back and make it correctly.

Wife asked me once, why I don't make mistakes. I did not answer, but truth be told, I never mention all my mistakes!

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - Duane N - 08-31-2019

(08-31-2019, 06:49 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Ya did it right Duane!  Any other fix would have bugged you forever and better to drop back and make it correctly.

Wife asked me once, why I don't make mistakes.  I did not answer, but truth be told, I never mention all my mistakes!

I guess I'mnot the only one where things like this would have bothered me because it didn't end up the way it's supposed to be.  I'm glad I re-made the doors honestly...one less thing to irk me. 
Laugh

RE: Measure twice, cut multiple times - gregbois - 09-04-2019

As one who has numerical dyslexia and transposes numbers -- 21 becomes 12 -- measure twice usually results in cut twice, and more.  Urr.

Question:  How did you join the rails and stiles on these doors?  Were they cope and stick or did you use dowels or tenons?  They look nice either way, full-sized or underside-sized.

Thanks!