Woodnet Forums
Safety Switch for Table Saw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Safety Switch for Table Saw (/showthread.php?tid=7349933)

Pages: 1 2

Safety Switch for Table Saw - hankgillette - 08-25-2019

I’ve been wanting to put one of these switches on my General contractor’s saw for a long time, because I am always fumbling around trying to find the off switch. Apparently, there is a demand for them, because I saw about 20 different models on Amazon.

[attachment=20185]

The thing is, it seems every one has problems, including:

• No instructions
• No wiring diagram
• Won’t fit into a standard electrical box
• Screws provided are wrong size or too short

I realize a lot of people don’t need a wiring diagram or directions, and for them it’s probably no big deal to get the screws or electrical box needed, but it seems to me that some company could do a good business with a product that provide instructions that a non-electrician can follow, fits into a standard box, or provides a replacement, and provides the right hardware. Anyone know of such a switch?

Oh yeah, I’d also like it to be magnetic, although that is not a deal-breaker.

Hank Gillette

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - Stwood_ - 08-25-2019

Grizzly.com has one that fits a standard receptacle box.
They have less selections also...........

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - meackerman - 08-25-2019

I made my own with a piece of 1/4" plywood that pivots at the top of the switch box with a hole for the on button.  its nice and big so I can hit it with my knee if need be.

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - hankgillette - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 09:17 PM)meackerman Wrote: I made my own with a piece of 1/4" plywood that pivots at the top of the switch box with a hole for the on button.  its nice and big so I can hit it with my knee if need be.

Could you post a picture of it?

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - hankgillette - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 08:42 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Grizzly.com has one that fits a standard receptacle box.
They have less selections also...........

The same model is on Amazon and multiple reviews say that it does not fit.

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - Stwood_ - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 11:39 PM)hankgillette Wrote: The same model is on Amazon and multiple reviews say that it does not fit.

If I can remember it, I'll get the number off of mine.

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - Handplanesandmore - 08-26-2019

My neighbor built one like this with a longer bar - https://www.google.com/search?q=saw+safety+switch&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibzp_4raHkAhWlMX0KHYd7C4IQ_AUIESgB&biw=1002&bih=401#imgrc=s80M_6ay1XLN8M:

Simon

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - meackerman - 08-26-2019

(08-25-2019, 11:37 PM)hankgillette Wrote: Could you post a picture of it?

sure.  Its pretty simple.  I see lots of them that people got all complicated making, and if it works for them, that's great.

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - DaveR1 - 08-26-2019

Here's a shop made one shown at about 7:52
https://youtu.be/NnYebk1Vf9o?t=469

RE: Safety Switch for Table Saw - daddo - 08-26-2019

I use a kick plate on the bottom for hands free shut down if my hands are busy holding after a cut. A slight and lite kick will flip the switch off.
Has saved me a few times when being hung up on a cut and letting go of the board could have had bad results.

[Image: aErDlTb.jpg]