Woodnet Forums
Floor refinishing (2) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Floor refinishing (2) (/showthread.php?tid=7349998)

Floor refinishing (2) - PedroOhare - 08-29-2019

I am having my hardwood floors refinished starting September 9. I have never had the floors refinished previously so I don’t know what to expect. Specifically, how close to the walls will they be able to sand? I am pondering the idea of removing all the quarter rounds from the base boards and then reinstalling after the floors are done. Would this be a reasonable task and allow for a better finish? Or would it be a waste of time?

Pedro

RE: Floor refinishing (2) - jteneyck - 08-29-2019

(08-29-2019, 01:39 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I am having my hardwood floors refinished starting September 9. I have never had the floors refinished previously so I don’t know what to expect. Specifically, how close to the walls will they be able to sand? I am pondering the idea of removing all the quarter rounds from the base boards and then reinstalling after the floors are done. Would this be a reasonable task and allow for a better finish? Or would it be a waste of time?

Pedro

I pulled up the shoe molding when I refinished my floors.  I don't know how you could do a good job otherwise.  

John

RE: Floor refinishing (2) - John Mihich - 08-29-2019

They can get real close if they are pro's.  For me - I have always pulled up the corner rounds.  This way you get a better looking sanding job.  I would pull up the trim; they may even do that before they work.  Call them.  It should have been part of the quote.

RE: Floor refinishing (2) - fishhh4 - 08-30-2019

(08-29-2019, 03:27 PM)John Mihich Wrote: They can get real close if they are pro's.  For me - I have always pulled up the corner rounds.  This way you get a better looking sanding job.  I would pull up the trim; they may even do that before they work.  Call them.  It should have been part of the quote.

What john said ... I think they would pull the shoe as part of the job. Ask them.

RE: Floor refinishing (2) - Cub_Cadet_GT - 09-03-2019

(08-30-2019, 11:08 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: What john said ... I think they would pull the shoe as part of the job. Ask them.

+1 on this. When I had my downstairs redone they pulled all the shoe mould before  and replaced it with new once done.

RE: Floor refinishing (2) - rwe2156 - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 06:47 AM)Cub_Cadet_GT Wrote: +1 on this. When I had my downstairs redone they pulled all the shoe mould before  and replaced it with new once done.

Yes they will (should) & should re-install, but I would do it myself[Image: wink.png].

Also, if you think they baseboards need painting, this is a good time to do it.