Woodnet Forums
Hand saw - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Hand saw (/showthread.php?tid=7350301)

Hand saw - EHedrick1212 - 09-15-2019

I’m not sure about this saw that I have.  I've uploaded three images.  There are no company names, logos, or markings of any kind.  The handle looks to be oak.  The overall length is about 22 inches, the blade is about 18 inches.  The interesting thing is that the blade tapers down several inches from the end approximately 1/4 inch, at which point there is a little spike protruding from the blade that is about 1/8 inch tall.  Can anyone tell me what this is for or exactly what might be the unique purpose of this saw?

RE: Hand saw - WJB - 09-15-2019

You have done it now. You have asked the purpose of the nib- the start of many a fight on hand tool forums. Some will tell you it is like a gun site, others will claim it is used to notch the start of the cut. Those people are totally wrong. It is simply a vestigial remnant of a decorative element used on saws from antiquity.

As for the saw I can't tell if the handle is large enough for an adult. It looks too small and crudely made. So possibly a child's saw. If meant for an adult, it looks like a table saw. The narrow width allows a person to saw out round table tops.

RE: Hand saw - EHedrick1212 - 09-15-2019

(09-15-2019, 05:53 PM)WJB Wrote: You have done it now. You have asked the purpose of the nib- the start of many a fight on hand tool forums. Some will tell you it is like a gun site, others will claim it is used to notch the start of the cut. Those people are totally wrong.  It is simply a vestigial remnant of a decorative element used on saws from antiquity.

As for the saw I can't tell if the handle is large enough for an adult.  It looks too small and crudely made.  So possibly a child's saw.  If meant for an adult,  it looks like a table saw. The narrow width  allows a person to saw out round table tops.

Sorry...I wasn’t trying to open Pandora’s box, but many thanks for your reply.
Smile

RE: Hand saw - Tony Z - 09-15-2019

Everyone knows the nib is for scratching your back without the fear of drawing blood with sharp teet.

RE: Hand saw - WJB - 09-15-2019

Actually, we like the nib question - the arguing is rarely bloody.

Just don't go to power tools and ask "what is the best tablesaw"?

RE: Hand saw - stav - 09-16-2019

(09-15-2019, 07:42 PM)WJB Wrote: Actually, we like the nib question - the arguing is rarely bloody.

Just don't go to power tools and ask "what is the best tablesaw"?

Everyone knows the best table saw is a Unisaw.  The fence the is point of contention. Not to add more contention to an already contentious thread.  
Laugh

RE: Hand saw - AHill - 09-16-2019

I think you have a very old panel saw that's been sharpened many times. I also think the handle has been replaced. Disston added the nib (spike as you refer to it), and nobody really knows the purpose. Perhaps just decorative. Is there a medallion on the other side of the handle where the screws are? If so, take a pic of that and post it. That would help in ID. Otherwise, I think you have a generic hardware store saw. Disston's handles on their panel saws were attached with more screws than just the two on your saw.