Woodnet Forums
Skunks - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Skunks (/showthread.php?tid=7350354)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Skunks - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 09-17-2019

Is there a way to get rid of skunks from my back yard??  They are digging it up. I know they are looking for grubs and food but I have applied bug killer twice this year and see no signs of them. This is getting ridiculous. We are not allowed to discharge weapons in NJ

RE: Skunks - Stwood_ - 09-18-2019

Call your city animal control and ask for remedies.

RE: Skunks - fredhargis - 09-18-2019

There are animal repellents but they are fairly expensive, and IME they don't work worth a chit. Generally they are used on smaller areas like flower beds. I think the city animal control advice s good, or maybe a local pest control that deals with nuisance animals.

RE: Skunks - Snipe Hunter - 09-18-2019

Like any animal, get rid of the food source. They're digging up grubs and bee /wasp nests. Bee treatments take a couple years but you can kill the grubs by spreading Grub X pretty quickly. You can go organic and use beneficial nematodes. I've used them with good success but application is a little tricky, just follow the directions. Not sure if they can control bees/wasps.

RE: Skunks - tomsteve - 09-18-2019

skunks eat a lot more than just the grubs in lawns. skunks are omnivorous, eating both plant and animal material and changing their diets as the seasons change. They eat insects, larvae, earthworms, grubs, rodents, lizards, salamanders, frogs, snakes, birds, moles, and eggs. some of the lawn bugs they eat are bugs that damage a lawn.skunks hate strong scents and light.you can try to deter them from conin into your yard by placing ammonia soaked rags around your yard. i found a spray deer deterrent that worked great at keeping deer and skunks away from my yard and garden. ive reapplied every 3 weeks and its worked great. it smells like stale butt.

RE: Skunks - fixtureman - 09-18-2019

I used ammonia around the out side and that seemed to keep them out.

RE: Skunks - Bill Wilson - 09-18-2019

(09-17-2019, 10:42 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: Is there a way to get rid of skunks from my back yard??  They are digging it up. I know they are looking for grubs and food but I have applied bug killer twice this year and see no signs of them. This is getting ridiculous. We are not allowed to discharge weapons in NJ

You wouldn't want to shoot them, John.  They'll tend to spray anyway.

I have a buddy that has trapped a bunch out of his yard.  Said he only got sprayed a couple of times.  That would be a couple times too many for me.  The problem with trapping then is how to "dispose" of them afterward.  So, trapping can be done, but probably best left to a pro.

Are you sure they're skunks?  I had a lot of damage in my backyard last year, about this time.  I thought they were skunks, but never actually saw them.  After talking to several people, I'm convinced now that it was probably racoons.  I laid down a treatment of Grubex last Fall and another one this Spring.  So far they haven't returned this year. (Keeping fingers crossed)

RE: Skunks - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 09-18-2019

(09-18-2019, 07:19 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: You wouldn't want to shoot them, John.  They'll tend to spray anyway.

I have a buddy that has trapped a bunch out of his yard.  Said he only got sprayed a couple of times.  That would be a couple times too many for me.  The problem with trapping then is how to "dispose" of them afterward.  So, trapping can be done, but probably best left to a pro.

Are you sure they're skunks?  I had a lot of damage in my backyard last year, about this time.  I thought they were skunks, but never actually saw them.  After talking to several people, I'm convinced now that it was probably racoons.  I laid down a treatment of Grubex last Fall and another one this Spring.  So far they haven't returned this year. (Keeping fingers crossed)

Oh it is a skunk. I chased him 3 times last night. He must have been pissed because he must have returned when I finally went to sleep and really did a number on the yard. I have to pick up some seed and top soil today and will be changing my backyard lights to motion sensored spots. That seemed to get them to move when I shined a flashlight on them last night. The lights I have now are just light the walkway motion lights and are not bright. I am thinking about that motion sprinkler thing. They come back this time of the year. Had this problem a few years ago and they left. Back this year with a vengeance.

RE: Skunks - Phil S. - 09-18-2019

Looks like this would be fun -

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Activated-Sprinkler-Repellent-Hoont/dp/B07FP9PSWL

especially if you got some video of it in action.
Laugh

RE: Skunks - Bill Wilson - 09-18-2019

(09-18-2019, 02:23 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Looks like this would be fun -

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Activated-Sprinkler-Repellent-Hoont/dp/B07FP9PSWL

especially if you got some video of it in action.
Laugh

That's really intriguing.  If my varmint problem returns, I might be inclined to give it a try.  Amazon reviews are all over the place, so it may be something of a crap shoot, but the concept is pure genius.