Woodnet Forums
Skunks - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Skunks (/showthread.php?tid=7350354)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Skunks - meackerman - 09-18-2019

(09-18-2019, 02:23 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Looks like this would be fun -

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Activated-Sprinkler-Repellent-Hoont/dp/B07FP9PSWL

especially if you got some video of it in action.
Laugh

we had a friend who has something like that in their fenced in garden....she said it was pretty effective at keeping the raccoons from eating too much of her garden.

funny thing is when she was selling her place and had an open house, she forgot to turn it off.  Apparently more than one person looking at her place went into her garden to take a look and got sprayed.

RE: Skunks - Bluepine - 09-18-2019

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Activated-Sprinkler-Repellent-Hoont/dp/B07FP9PSWL

Laugh

I have a different brand than that one but it will startle a black bear.

RE: Skunks - farmerj111 - 09-18-2019

Laugh

I had one of these in my garden to deter the deer and it was effective, but the problem was I kept forgetting it was there and I would walk into the garden only to get blasted myself! 
Laugh

RE: Skunks - R Clark - 09-18-2019

Not that it's any help in this instance...

We live on an acreage out in the country and we keep chickens.  They free range during the day, but at dark they return to the coop and we lock them up for the night.

On a snowy and cold Friday night last January, LOML and I returned from a dinner gathering downtown.  It was about 10 p.m.  The temperature was about 5 degrees and the snow was coming down in a stiff wind.  LOML went out to the coop to lock up the hens for the night.  I noticed she was standing a distance from the coop with the door open and shining a light inside.  I went out the back door and yelled to ask, "Is there a problem?"  She yelled back, "SKUNK!"

I went out there and a skunk had got into the open coop, looking for place to hunker down out of the weather.  We spent 20 minutes out there trying to scare the critter off.  I would have shot it, but I knew that if I did, then it was likely to spray anyway.  So there we are, in nice clothes, in the dark, snow blowing sideways, trying to convince the skunk to depart of his own accord.   The skunk was hiding behind a metal trash can we used to store chicken feed.

I finally had to man up, grab the can and pull it away from the corner to expose the skunk.  Mr Skunk decided this place was more trouble than it's worth, and beat feet out the chicken hatch and disappeared into the wind, snow and dark of night.

Never saw him again.

RE: Skunks - JTTHECLOCKMAN - 09-18-2019

So far the light worked. Actually saw skunk trip motion light. He scurried to back fence and tried to get out and the found an out. This skunk was huge. Put a saddle on it and you had a ride. Will see in the morning.

RE: Skunks - Bob10 - 09-18-2019

(09-18-2019, 11:15 PM)JTTHECLOCKMAN Wrote: So far the light worked. Actually saw skunk trip motion light. He scurried to back fence and tried to get out and the found an out. This skunk was huge. Put a saddle on it and you had a ride. Will see in the morning.

you get a havahart trap put cat food in it when you catch the skunk which will happy pretty quick you approach the cage with a towel or blanket that can cover the cage.  You have to move slow and make sure the skunk sees you so you don't scare it.  Have a water tank large enough to cover the cage nearby drop cage slowly into the water leave the skunk there a while.  If you pull it out before it has released it won't be good.  So wait a while pour out water dump skunk in plastic bag and trash or just bury deep enough nothing will dig it up.  Lost count on the number of times I have done this at my place and those of friends

RE: Skunks - Bob10 - 09-18-2019

Oh and rolling out chicken wire before laying down sod or seed reduces this type problem

RE: Skunks - jamesglenn - 09-19-2019

The key to have-a-heart trapping is to cover the cage with a blanket once the skunk is inside; move slowly and try not to be seen. Once covered, spray starting fluid under the blanket until the animal has passed out. They don't spray and you can transport a short distance before they wake. 

Or once it is out you can terminate the animal. 

I learned this from an old man after trapping and shooting but the skunk still sprayed and the area smelled. It's worked for years and dozens of skunks.

RE: Skunks - daddo - 09-19-2019

Hang a skunk skin hat out there.

RE: Skunks - Bob10 - 09-19-2019

(09-19-2019, 07:03 AM)jamesglenn Wrote: The key to have-a-heart trapping is to cover the cage with a blanket once the skunk is inside; move slowly and try not to be seen. Once covered, spray starting fluid under the blanket until the animal has passed out. They don't spray and you can transport a short distance before they wake. 

Or once it is out you can terminate the animal. 

I learned this from an old man after trapping and shooting but the skunk still sprayed and the area smelled. It's worked for years and dozens of skunks.

exhaust works too if you are close enough to something that burns fuel