Woodnet Forums
Problem with a sagging door... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Problem with a sagging door... (/showthread.php?tid=7350578)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Problem with a sagging door... - Cooler - 10-07-2019

Are you sure it is the door at fault and not the foundation?

My rear door which is over a deck in the rear of the house had periodic sagging issues.  A new post with deeper footings resolved this issue. 

On an old edition of "This Old House" they had to break through the basement slab, put in a deep footing and then jack up the house to resolve a similar issue. 

If it is a foundation issue, then adjusting the door in the frame is a temporary fix.

RE: Problem with a sagging door... - Bob10 - 10-07-2019

(10-07-2019, 11:13 AM)Cooler Wrote: Are you sure it is the door at fault and not the foundation?

My rear door which is over a deck in the rear of the house had periodic sagging issues.  A new post with deeper footings resolved this issue. 

On an old edition of "This Old House" they had to break through the basement slab, put in a deep footing and then jack up the house to resolve a similar issue. 

If it is a foundation issue, then adjusting the door in the frame is a temporary fix.

I would bet it is something do with the floor if the reveal remains unchanged.

RE: Problem with a sagging door... - rwe2156 - 10-09-2019

Try replacing a couple of the top hinge jamb screws with screws long enough to enter the stud.  This will usually suck the jamb in a bit just enough to raise the opposite corner of the door. 

BTW, I do this on all exterior doors now because I've seen the hinge screws fail more than once.

RE: Problem with a sagging door... - vernonator - 10-10-2019

(10-09-2019, 09:18 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: Try replacing a couple of the top hinge jamb screws with screws long enough to enter the stud.  This will usually suck the jamb in a bit just enough to raise the opposite corner of the door. 

BTW, I do this on all exterior doors now because I've seen the hinge screws fail more than once.

I had to do this with all my interior doors as well - we have heavy 3 panel solid core doors and all the id10ts that installed them used were the short hinge plate screws supplied. After about 5-6 years they ALL started to sag, a box of long screws later they were all nice and straight.

RE: Problem with a sagging door... - EdL - 10-16-2019

(10-10-2019, 08:16 AM)vernonator Wrote: I had to do this with all my interior doors as well - we have heavy 3 panel solid core doors and all the id10ts that installed them used were the short hinge plate screws supplied. After about 5-6 years they ALL started to sag, a box of long screws later they were all nice and straight.

Just had to fix a basement door with sag issues....top hinge screws were #10x3" and stripped out, larger screws are a temporary fix as you don't get full thread engagment because the #8 screws stripped out too.

I drilled the holes out to 3/8", gorrilla glued in hardwood dowels 2" long and started over with #8's in a virgin hole.

Ed

RE: Problem with a sagging door... - Cooler - 10-23-2019

They make some fairly pricey hinges that are adjustable.  The cheapest I've seen are about $60.00 and they allow you to adjust the gaps with an allen wrench or screwdriver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bcHqfR2Pwo