Woodnet Forums
Veritas Pocket Plane - initial thoughts - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Veritas Pocket Plane - initial thoughts (/showthread.php?tid=7350977)

Veritas Pocket Plane - initial thoughts - cputnam - 10-28-2019

Finally have gotten to play with mine. Honed and stropped the PM iron even though it really did not need it. With my fumbly hands, had some minor difficulty getting back together - very close tolerances. U have a large hand, which it fits well. Mouth is not adjustable but is quite small. It is designed to take fine cuts to final adjust joinery, drawer clearances, etc. Just because, I tried on a few pretty rank end-grain cuts - which it did without complaint. Overall, it does what you want a small block plane to do, fits the hand well for extended use nad puts a smile on my face when I pull it out. There will now be a never ending battle between the pocket plane and my LN bronze 102 for my favorite small block.

RE: Veritas Pocket Plane - initial thoughts - jstraw - 10-28-2019

I purchased one in A-2 when they were first offered. It quickly became and still is my favorite plane. In spite of being A-2, I’ve used it so much the blade is noticeably shorter with all the sharpenings.

Enjoy your new plane.

RE: Veritas Pocket Plane - initial thoughts - Greg Jones - 10-29-2019

jstraw, do you perhaps have the Apron Plane? The Pocket Plane has only been out about a year, PM-V11 only.

cputnam, I share your enthusiasm for the Pocket Plane. It has considerably exceeded my expectations and I’m reaching for it first for most small planing tasks.

RE: Veritas Pocket Plane - initial thoughts - AHill - 10-29-2019

Just curious. What can you do with the pocket plane you can't do with an apron plane (or something the size of a LN 102?

RE: Veritas Pocket Plane - initial thoughts - cputnam - 10-29-2019

Nothing - that I know of. I'm kind of a block plane addict though. The pocket plane is a little smaller, lighter, and more nimble than the 102, but there have been times when the 102's weight has won the day.

RE: Veritas Pocket Plane - initial thoughts - Peter Tremblay - 11-01-2019

(10-28-2019, 07:55 PM)cputnam Wrote: Finally have gotten to play with mine.  Honed and stropped the PM iron even though it really did not need it.  With my fumbly hands, had some minor difficulty getting back together - very close tolerances.  U have a large hand, which it fits well.  Mouth is not adjustable but is quite small.  It is designed to take fine cuts to final adjust joinery, drawer clearances, etc.  Just because, I tried on a few pretty rank end-grain cuts - which it did without complaint.  Overall, it does what you want a small block plane to do, fits the hand well for extended use nad puts a smile on my face when I pull it out.  There will now be a never ending battle between the pocket plane and my LN bronze 102 for my favorite small block.

The apron plane is one of my all-time favorite planes.
Yes

Sorry... I haven't played with the pocket plane but that might be on the list for Santa Claus this year.