Woodnet Forums
Dust Collection Question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Dust Collection Question (/showthread.php?tid=7350991)

Dust Collection Question - MVWoodworks - 10-29-2019

Hi All,

I have a cabinet saw and a 650CFM dust collector. There has always been some amount of saw dust that came out of the spaces between the table top and the cabinet. However, since I added a Thien Baffle to the system, I'm getting a lot of saw dust coming out of those spaces.

Is this normal?  Is there something I can do to stop it?

Thx, Jeff

RE: Dust Collection Question - fredhargis - 10-29-2019

I'll take a stab. You have a minimal (I think) DC and adding the separator reduced the flow further. Separators are always a good thing, but they do introduce some drag on the overall system...that is the nature of the beast. The best way to reduce the amount of dust escaping the cabinet would be to get a larger collector (if my assumption on the size of yours is correct).

RE: Dust Collection Question - Stwood_ - 10-29-2019

I stuffed pink fiberglass wall insulation into the holes under my saw. Works quite well.

RE: Dust Collection Question - MVWoodworks - 10-29-2019

(10-29-2019, 02:36 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I'll take a stab. You have a minimal (I think) DC and adding the separator reduced the flow further. Separators are always a good thing, but they do introduce some drag on the overall system...that is the nature of the beast.  The best way to reduce the amount of dust escaping the cabinet would be to get a larger collector (if my assumption on the size of yours is correct)
Thanks for the feedback.  I've always had a separator, just upgraded to the Thein design. Also converted from ribbed hose to smooth-inside hose.

RE: Dust Collection Question - MVWoodworks - 10-29-2019

(10-29-2019, 02:39 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I stuffed pink fiberglass wall insulation into the holes under my saw. Works quite well.

Interesting.  I thought the holes were necessary for air to flow through the cabinet?

RE: Dust Collection Question - Stwood_ - 10-29-2019

Not my 1022 Griz. There's enough holes by the blade insert, the tilt knob, the height knob......

RE: Dust Collection Question - Dan Moening - 10-30-2019

Quote:I stuffed pink fiberglass wall insulation into the holes under my saw. Works quite well.

Yup, I used left over Kaizen Foam on my Jet Contractors saw ... also filled the hole at the front where the height adjustment wheel rotates during angled cuts.

There's enough "leakage" elsewhere to allow proper draw.

RE: Dust Collection Question - TDKPE - 10-30-2019

(10-29-2019, 05:57 PM)MVWoodworks Wrote: Interesting.  I thought the holes were necessary for air to flow through the cabinet?

They are, but if dust is coming out of a hole, there isn't enough air flowing into that hole, so plug or guard it.  

But it sounds like you really need a larger DC system, I'm sorry to say.  It takes a LOT of air movement to capture dust in a TS without some escaping, and that doesn't even include a blade guard with DC port.

Edit: Oh, and that 650 cfm is probably moving around 300 cfm with bags and hose and machine port attached.