Woodnet Forums
Help with bandsaw fence - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Help with bandsaw fence (/showthread.php?tid=7351039)

Help with bandsaw fence - joemac - 10-31-2019

I have a Jet 18" bandsaw JWBS 18QT-3 that I bought new and has not seen a lot of use.  When I went to use it, I moved the fence to the correct location and lowered the handle to lock the fence but it did not lock.  I have never given the fence much thought as it always worked the way a fence should.  It did not appear to have any damage, but would not lock.  It seemed to have some front to back slop.  I tried to adjust it tighter with the rear hook adjustment and then the hex screws but no luck.  I then took the rear rail off and shimmed it outward with washers. This reduced the slop but still not enough to lock the fence.  I finally put a wood shim under the locking cam and it worked, but this is unsafe.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix it?  I am baffled
Confused

RE: Help with bandsaw fence - KC - 11-01-2019

(10-31-2019, 11:20 PM)joemac Wrote: I have a Jet 18" bandsaw JWBS 18QT-3 that I bought new and has not seen a lot of use.  When I went to use it, I moved the fence to the correct location and lowered the handle to lock the fence but it did not lock.  I have never given the fence much thought as it always worked the way a fence should.  It did not appear to have any damage, but would not lock.  It seemed to have some front to back slop.  I tried to adjust it tighter with the rear hook adjustment and then the hex screws but no luck.  I then took the rear rail off and shimmed it outward with washers. This reduced the slop but still not enough to lock the fence.  I finally put a wood shim under the locking cam and it worked, but this is unsafe.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix it?  I am baffled
Confused

Unsafe?  Mine's been like that since I can't even remember how long now.   Check and see if the little tab of slick plastic (can't think of the right name!) has fallen off the locking thingy.  Glue a new one on.

RE: Help with bandsaw fence - joemac - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 06:23 AM)KC Wrote: Unsafe?  Mine's been like that since I can't even remember how long now.   Check and see if the little tab of slick plastic (can't think of the right name!) has fallen off the locking thingy.  Glue a new one on.

Yes it did fall off

RE: Help with bandsaw fence - KC - 11-01-2019

(11-01-2019, 01:57 PM)joemac Wrote: Yes it did fall off

That's almost certainly what's wrong with it. I've never bothered to glue one back on mine. I just stick a scrap under there when I use the fence.

RE: Help with bandsaw fence - Smashedfinger - 11-04-2019

You know what I did after my two bandsaw oem fences broke? I got a carter magnetic fence (newer version) A bit pricey yes, but Well worth the ability to actually get something done without being frustrated with the oem fence falling apart.