Woodnet Forums
Easy carbide tools? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Easy carbide tools? (/showthread.php?tid=7351111)

Pages: 1 2

Easy carbide tools? - stoppy - 11-05-2019

are they worth the investment for bowl and platter work?

RE: Easy carbide tools? - Arlin Eastman - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019, 02:01 AM)stoppy Wrote: are they worth the investment for bowl and platter work?

I used them almost all the time for hogging off wood until I need to use my gouges for the final few cuts.  Bowls and boxes and platters and well everything.

Plus I would not get the EZ carbide tools since John in S&S sells them way cheaper and you can make your own handles to just to shape your hands.  Mine I do pattern them after EZ wood tools handle since I can either use the end where it goes up against the stop or in the middle it handles either way well. 
Yes

RE: Easy carbide tools? - Turner52 - 11-05-2019

I agree with Arlin. Johns tools are good quality at a reasonable price. Way better than Easy Tools.

RE: Easy carbide tools? - MichaelMouse - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019, 02:01 AM)stoppy Wrote: are they worth the investment for bowl and platter work?
If you're competent cutting with edged tools, you'll seldom use them.  I have mine, and the scrapers I bought, on the farthest tool rack, so the ones I use most often are within easy reach.

RE: Easy carbide tools? - Arlin Eastman - 11-07-2019

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7327453

RE: Easy carbide tools? - crokett™ - 11-11-2019

You can invest a lot less by making your own. 10 or 12.00 for the cutters, whatever some steel bar stock costs, a copper coupler for a ferrule and then the time to drill and tap for the cutterhead screw. Use your new tool to turn a handle for itself. My shop made tools cut just as well as the EWT branded tools that Arlin lent me some time ago.

RE: Easy carbide tools? - MidwestMan - 11-11-2019

I too, purchased the easy tools first, however, I later learned how to use each cutting tool properly and now my easy tools see very little use. Although sometimes I will reach for it for an unusual need.

Each person has their own motivation and needs, however, I encourage you to try to learn how to use a skew, a bowl gauge, etc. Personally, I have found that clearing out the bowl's inside is so much fast and cleaner, using a bowl gouge, I have never looked back. Plus, if you learn how to use traditional tools (in the future) you will find the finished cuts require less sanding. I admit, it took me a while to learn the bowl gouge, but I highly recommend it. It's my favorite tool to use on the lathe.

RE: Easy carbide tools? - Smashedfinger - 11-12-2019

(11-05-2019, 12:29 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I used them almost all the time for hogging off wood until I need to use my gouges for the final few cuts.  Bowls and boxes and platters and well everything.

Plus I would not get the EZ carbide tools since John in S&S sells them way cheaper and you can make your own handles to just to shape your hands.  Mine I do pattern them after EZ wood tools handle since I can either use the end where it goes up against the stop or in the middle it handles either way well. 
Yes
Could we see a link to those tools? I'm not sure who John in S&S is?

RE: Easy carbide tools? - paul2004 - 11-12-2019

Smashedfinger, here's the link:

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7327453

RE: Easy carbide tools? - EightFingers - 11-12-2019

EWT are just glorified scrapers. Don't allow the finesse like a gouge. I very rarely use the EWT anymore.