Woodnet Forums
Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? (/showthread.php?tid=7351184)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 01-05-2020

It's gonna hang from the ceiling. Getting it up there is gonna pose a challenge!

RE: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - TDKPE - 01-05-2020

Make sure you check the blower motor’s current draw and compare that to the nameplate rated current.  Most furnace blower motors are sized based on some restriction, and running them with essentially no restriction can severely overload them.  

A belt driven blower I salvaged from my old A/C system long ago ran at about twice the motor’s rated current when I fired it up on the garage floor.  It wouldn’t have lasted very long at that rate, so when I put it to work in my air cleaner/portable planer stand, I dropped the blower speed by changing the sheaves.  

I could have accomplished the same thing by restricting the air flow, either in or out, but it was easier to just slow it down.

Just be aware of that so you don’t fry the motor after all that work.  
Sad

This will have two more filters installed. Once assembled, I'll test its draw when running on high. If it's drawing too much I'll close off one of the openings to restrict flow.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Carcass is done. Waiting on a rasp so I can refine the exhaust hole to fit the blower. Need to fabricate thingamajigs to secure the filters in place. I'll start wiring later this week.

RE: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - fishhh4 - 01-05-2020

Beats the heck out of my two little squirrel cages.

RE: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - Arlin Eastman - 01-07-2020

Brad

Us a anti static one on the outside and a fine double filter in the inside.  The first one you can wash out a lot for a long time and the inside every 6 months or so.

RE: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 01-16-2020

Construction is done. Next is to hang and wire it.

RE: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 01-16-2020

The hangers I threw together:

RE: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 01-17-2020

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG

Wink

Lifting it, inch by inch, side by side, to over the entry door.

RE: Filter advice for shop-built air scrubber? - fredhargis - 01-18-2020

I thought maybe you'd have a party for your old battalion and get some of them to help!
Laugh  File away for future reference, an inexpensive deer hoist can help a lot with stuff like that.