Woodnet Forums
looking for web site to identify old hammer/axes/hoes - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: looking for web site to identify old hammer/axes/hoes (/showthread.php?tid=7351257)

looking for web site to identify old hammer/axes/hoes - toolmiser - 11-14-2019

I was doing a little winter cleanup and dug out a couple milk crates of old hammers, hatchets, hoes, fro.  I would just like to identify the uses of them.  I know there is plenty of wisdom here, but I have probably 25 of them and don't expect you folks to do my leg work for me.  

Looks like I should learn to make some handles too.  I will need to identify them before doing that so I come close to what it should have.

Thanks again.

RE: looking for web site to identify old hammer/axes/hoes - jasfrank - 11-14-2019

BladeForums.com or BushcraftUSA.com are both great sources of info

RE: looking for web site to identify old hammer/axes/hoes - Arlin Eastman - 11-21-2019

I just had to say this.

The web site is listed under

Ex-Wives club. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

RE: looking for web site to identify old hammer/axes/hoes - toolmiser - 11-21-2019

Thanks for the replies. I found this site to be helpful https://tennesseehickory.com/images/catalog_lr.pdf Gave me pictures of a lot of hammers.

On a related note, I've started to fill some of the holes in a bunch of "heads" Nothing fancy or spectacular, but I did try to use a draw knife, and have had some success.

I think I will try some offset handle turning on the lathe.

These were garage sale "deals" kind of tossed into a milk crate. A lot were/are missing handles. Not going to finish all of them, but sort out some of the truly unneeded ones or duplicates/triplicates.

They didn't have much value (for use) without a handle.

I did find a few (axes) that have names and some retail value. I wrote on the blade with sharpie so I or someone else won't sell them for garage sale prices.

Thanks again.

RE: looking for web site to identify old hammer/axes/hoes - Bibliophile 13 - 11-21-2019

Looking forward to seeing what you do with them!