Woodnet Forums
French Rolling Pin - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: French Rolling Pin (/showthread.php?tid=7351431)

French Rolling Pin - crokett™ - 11-25-2019

I'm thinking of turning one as a gift.  I'm trying to figure out how to hold it to finish the ends.  I can have one end in a chuck and use a steady so as to turn one end, but how can I hold the finished end to turn the end that was in the chuck?

RE: French Rolling Pin - gear jammer - 11-25-2019

I made 2 a couple years ago. I turned them between centers and bandsawed a quarter inch of each end and finished by hand.

RE: French Rolling Pin - crokett™ - 11-25-2019

(11-25-2019, 12:20 PM)gear jammer Wrote: I made 2 a couple years ago. I turned them between centers and bandsawed a quarter inch of each end and finished by hand.

It occurred to me after posting this that I have a power sanding pad for my drill.  I can get most of it done on the lathe, cut the ends off and just power sand the ends.

RE: French Rolling Pin - Arlin Eastman - 11-25-2019

You can make one small but deep cup center on one end and a wide shallow cup on the other end and then switch them and can get all but 1/16 on the ends and just finish by hand.

I know Mike from PVW does this all the time just do not remember how.

RE: French Rolling Pin - stoppy - 11-26-2019

I did a couple between centers and finished off the ends by hand after bandsawing them.

RE: French Rolling Pin - PVW - 11-26-2019

(11-25-2019, 09:58 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm thinking of turning one as a gift.  I'm trying to figure out how to hold it to finish the ends.  I can have one end in a chuck and use a steady so as to turn one end, but how can I hold the finished end to turn the end that was in the chuck?

I turn mine between centers. Turn the ends to 1/2 inch. do all the sanding on the main body before I turn the ends to around 1/8 inch . then bandsaw flush and sand