Woodnet Forums
Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object (/showthread.php?tid=7351543)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - jstraw - 12-09-2019

For me, it would have to be a Jim Leamy plow plane. Met him at PATINA many years ago and ended up talking for an hour. It would take some serious cash to buy one today.

[Image: full]

A Woodcraft article about Jim Leamy:
https://www.woodcraft.com/blog_entries/just-plane-crazy

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - BrokenOlMarine - 12-09-2019

THAT's the article I remember seeing years ago, and another about exotic planes with ivory fittings and inlay.  Beautiful.  I'm afraid I would drool on them, a lot. 
Big Grin. I don't think I would ever use one of those.  I watched a youtube vid of a female plane maker / engraver who did amazing work.  If cost wasn't an issue, I could get Her to make me a beautiful user plane with the Iwo Jima Flag Raising on one side, my Rank, Aircrew Wings, and Years of Service on the other... And I could use it. 
Big Grin

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - enjuneer - 12-09-2019

Paul Hamler is still hard at work and is currently making a short run of center wheel plough planes like these. They are supposed to be ready for purchase in January. Contact him if you want one.

[attachment=22173]

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - Peter Tremblay - 12-11-2019

For me it would be a plane by both Ron Breeze and Konrad Sauer.

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - AHill - 12-11-2019

(12-03-2019, 10:11 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I believe Ron (Brese) is still very much in the plane business. Give him a call.

His website seems to be dead.  His blog in January this year indicated the web site is no more.  He indicated he's been pursuing other interests.  If I decide, I'll call him.  He's a great guy.

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - meackerman - 12-11-2019

(12-02-2019, 02:46 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: - Bridge City Tools:   
https://bridgecitytools.com/products/jmpv2-jointmaker-pro
in a fit of weakness I bought the original joint maker pro.  used it for a little while and sold it.  Just wasn't impressed enough to keep that much money tied up in it.  I'm sure others love it.

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - Bruce Haugen - 12-11-2019

(12-11-2019, 12:28 PM)meackerman Wrote: in a fit of weakness I bought the original joint maker pro.  used it for a little while and sold it.  Just wasn't impressed enough to keep that much money tied up in it.  I'm sure others love it.

Some years ago I met  guy who confessed to having four jointmaker pros.  He was a young guy, not yet 40, who is a model maker and had three young kids.  He needed precision and the ability to keep the noise down.   I wouldn’t work for me, but sure must for some people.

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - Steve Altman - 12-11-2019

I think I would try Mateo Panzica's (Lazarus Handplane) bevel up smooth plane with that unique adjustment mechanism.

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - Alan S - 12-11-2019

(12-11-2019, 12:13 PM)AHill Wrote: His website seems to be dead.  His blog in January this year indicated the web site is no more.  He indicated he's been pursuing other interests.  If I decide, I'll call him.  He's a great guy.

"I've recently killed the Brese Plane web page. Sometimes when people notice a change of this nature they assume the worse. Don't. I can manage my offerings just as well thru this blog and my Instagram page. That being the case there was just no reason to maintain the Web page and it's nice to shirk the cost associated with web hosting."
from here.

RE: Newer Hand Tools You'd Try, Cost no Object - Arlin Eastman - 12-15-2019

(12-08-2019, 10:56 PM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: You missed the point of the post...

If cost was no object.... 
Laugh

I am happy with what I have, but IF I could splurge a bit, I wouldn't get ridiculously bling about the tools, and gold plate them...
Just personalize a tool a bit, with presentation grade wood, engraving, and top quality.  A really nice plane, or perhaps a Great set of chisels.  

Push the post a notch.... If cost was no object, other than a full shop, how would you spend dream funds?
Classes... I'd take trips and classes.  Tour places like Lee Valley, talk to their pros, take workshops to improve my skills.
And... Buy a modest amount of the woods I have always wanted to make pieces from... Curly this, highly figured that, popcorn, bubble gum, all the wood I see in guitar bodies and exotic furniture. Presentation quality.  

Big Grin

No I did not miss the point hinse the first two points I made.  I would have to be a thousandaire to not have to worry about funds, but then again most people do not get rich unless they save some money somewhere.

I do not buy things to just buy them.  There are some things I would love to have if $$$ were no object and some of them would be power tools and bigger shop and nicer hand tools like several years ago someone posted pictures of Hamler tools which I reallllllllllly like and some of the planes that Lazarus makes and shows here once in a while.

I want the tools to work without much effort and work like advertised or even better.  Even a few handsaws that whisper thru wood and cut straight and smooth and look great.  All the tools I would get would be users with the only exception of OLD planes and other hand tools to give them the respect they deserve thru all the years of their labors.

To me I have a Huge respect for tools and that is why I take care of the ones I have and also that others have given me.