Woodnet Forums
Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? (/showthread.php?tid=7351544)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 12-20-2019

Edwin,

You sound old.

RE: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - mstens - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 02:08 AM)Bob10 Wrote: Not so much a fashion accessory as they are people that work

Are you insinuating that every pickup out there is used for work? If so, clearly you do not live in Arizona... where it's like Jeeps.. 98% of them never do what they were made for.

RE: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - CLETUS - 12-20-2019

(12-15-2019, 10:36 AM)mstens Wrote: I've never been sure how a work truck became a fashion accessory. 

It's too bad most of those who own them for that, can't park them.

Actual "work trucks" pretty bare bones. IMO, trucks are the best vehicle out there because they serve multiple purposes.

75% of the time it's hauling groceries and going to soccer games. 25% of the time it's hauling gear, dead animals and wood.

As far as parking... yeah, a crew cab with a 6-8' box doesn't turn well enough to get into parking spaces. If the people used their head and parked away from everyone else, that's be great.

RE: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - Edwin Hackleman - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 08:00 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Edwin, you sound old.

Maybe, but I can't stop the clock from ticking. My grand daughter told me that the end-grain cutting board that I made for her and her mom was truly spectacular. That's still music to my ears. She hasn't been warped by a cell phone or addicted to one yet. So, she was fascinated by my hobby.

My two girls, and their dad, are on their phones all the time.

We all also love woodworking.

RE: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - Robin Dobbie - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 05:52 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: My two girls, and their dad, are on their phones all the time.

Man, I'm fascinated by woodworking, so I was hoping that meant I couldn't have been warped by my cell phone. I'm in Texas, so if my phone doesn't warp me, the humidity probably will.

RE: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - Edwin Hackleman - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 05:52 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: My two girls, and their dad, are on their phones all the time.

All the time? So, you run a table saw and talk or text on the cell at the same time. Gasp!

Edwin, my overly broad generalization made fun of yours.

That's all.

RE: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - Robin Dobbie - 12-20-2019

(12-20-2019, 07:46 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: All the time? So, you run a table saw and talk or text on the cell at the same time. Gasp!

Is it ok to send a texty text while the auto-feeder is pulling a board through? I'm asking for a friend.

RE: Woodworking as a hobby -- is it dying out? - Rob Young - 12-21-2019

(12-20-2019, 07:46 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: All the time? So, you run a table saw and talk or text on the cell at the same time. Gasp!

Apple iPushStick