Woodnet Forums
Collector vs User: My story - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Collector vs User: My story (/showthread.php?tid=7351617)

Pages: 1 2

Collector vs User: My story - DCarr10760 - 12-05-2019

Reading over the very interesting thread "Back in the day" has got me thinking about my journey as a hobbyist woodworker.  Like a lot of us here, I'm getting up there in age (pushing 60).  I took shop in school and enjoyed it.  In my 20's I worked in the trades, and learned a lot from watching the old timers, who would share secrets and techniques if you were patient and respectful.  Back in the late 1970s you could still go to a hardware store and buy serviceable tools.  I was left some things by my Father and Grandfather, other things I acquired from Sears, or the Silvo catalog as I needed them.  Remember the Silvo tool catalog?  It was the grownups equivalent to the Sears Christmas wish book.   

I went back to College in my late 20's and got a work study job at the school wood shop.  Hampshire College maintained a small work shop with basic power and hand tools for student use.  My job was to show the students how to avoid chopping off body parts while they made shelves for their dorm rooms or made bongs and pipe parts.  The shop had books and early copies of FWW.  But it also had recent Woodcraft and Garrett Wade catalogs.  Man, I poured over those pretty tools! My first purchase was a set of Woodcraft Bench Chisels, an ECE wedged block plane, a Tyzac-Turner dovetail saw, and a German draw knife.  With those tools and a few others, collected along the way, I built blanket chests, cabinets, chests of drawers, and all sorts of things.  My bench was a pair of saw horses and a solid core door.  Eventually I bought a small hobby bench from Sjobergs with shoulder and tail vise with wooden screws! (I still use it 35 years later).  

I worked building things all of my free time.  I couldn't afford the fancy tools I saw in FWW, but I made do with what I had and added new things when I had a windfall or could justify getting a special tool for a project (carving tools come to mind).  But despite having some instruction early on, I was mostly self-taught, learning by reading and looking at furniture made by masters.

Then came the internet.  I joined the Old Tool List and stumbled across all the forums.  My recollection of the forums was that it was 70% talk about tools, both finding old tools in the wild and restoring them and also the new tool offerings by LN, LV, and later everybody else.  Only 25% was about using these tools to build things.  But I got swept up in the tool talk.  As I got older I could afford some of the shiny tools I drooled over decades earlier.  I bought thousands of dollars of tools, special numbered edition planes from LN, handmade planes from Clark & Williams, saws from Mike Wenzloff and every month a box of stuff came from Patrick Leach.  I was sort of out of control.  

About this time (ten years ago) I stopped making things except tool boxes and shop fittings.  I sort of lost my way.  Fortunately, fate intervened and I was sidelined with a brain tumor and a difficult operation and recovery.  I'm fine now, but for a couple of years I really wasn't fine.  I stopped doing everything as a woodworker except some home renovation.  But then, last August, I got divorced and had to move out of the house and shop I'd been in for 20+ years.  I've had to move all of my tools and equipment, lumber and supplies, into a storage unit.  Now I'm in a small one-bedroom apartment that has a tiny room that I can use as a hand tool only shop.  I moved in the small 48-inch Sjobergs bench and am building a Dutch tool chest.  When I need a tool for some aspect of the build, I go to the storage unit and get it, clean it, sharpen it and will put it in the chest when I am done.  I have a few other projects lined-up when the chest is finished and I will fill it with only the tools I actually use.  I am considering selling all the rest of the tools that I own, once I have the user "set" completed.  Then I'll focus on building things.  I'll post some pictures as I go along, once I figure out how to do that.

So that's my story.  What is yours?

RE: Collector vs User: My story - cputnam - 12-05-2019

Thanks to an indulgent and loving wife, I have acquired more tools the Christopher Schwarz recommends in "The Anarchist's Tool Chest" - mostly chisels and planes. Planes stymied me until I joined this forum and read some books - but I love using them now. Chisels and knives (and other edged weapons) have always fascinated me. My wife did, however, not allow me to buy twin harpoons and mount them crossed on the living room wall. I also have some woodie planes, just to fiddle and learn with.

May saw collection is deficient. I have only 4 usable full-size hand saws. I covet a matched pair of Bontz's half-back saws for no particular reason other than they functional art pieces.

Now, in my middle 70s, and having a condition that kept immobile for a couple or so years, I'm now feeling the reduction in strength that has caused some changes in the project plans. Recognizing that there is an unknown, but finite, limit on how much longer I can keep at it in the shop means that I have reconfigured my power toolset and am now examining the hand toolset. Do I really need four # 6 planes? I've also learned the lesson that CS teaches in his book: all that stuff needs to be maintained and kept sharp.

That's my story, such as it is.

RE: Collector vs User: My story - toolmiser - 12-05-2019

(12-05-2019, 03:55 PM)DCarr10760 Wrote: Reading over the very interesting thread "Back in the day" has got me thinking about my journey as a hobbyist woodworker.  Like a lot of us here, I'm getting up there in age (pushing 60).  I took shop in school and enjoyed it.  In my 20's I worked in the trades, and learned a lot from watching the old timers, who would share secrets and techniques if you were patient and respectful.  Back in the late 1970s you could still go to a hardware store and buy serviceable tools.  I was left some things by my Father and Grandfather, other things I acquired from Sears, or the Silvo catalog as I needed them.  Remember the Silvo tool catalog?  It was the grownups equivalent to the Sears Christmas wish book.   

I went back to College in my late 20's and got a work study job at the school wood shop.  Hampshire College maintained a small work shop with basic power and hand tools for student use.  My job was to show the students how to avoid chopping off body parts while they made shelves for their dorm rooms or made bongs and pipe parts.  The shop had books and early copies of FWW.  But it also had recent Woodcraft and Garrett Wade catalogs.  Man, I poured over those pretty tools! My first purchase was a set of Woodcraft Bench Chisels, an ECE wedged block plane, a Tyzac-Turner dovetail saw, and a German draw knife.  With those tools and a few others, collected along the way, I built blanket chests, cabinets, chests of drawers, and all sorts of things.  My bench was a pair of saw horses and a solid core door.  Eventually I bought a small hobby bench from Sjobergs with shoulder and tail vise with wooden screws! (I still use it 35 years later).  

I worked building things all of my free time.  I couldn't afford the fancy tools I saw in FWW, but I made do with what I had and added new things when I had a windfall or could justify getting a special tool for a project (carving tools come to mind).  But despite having some instruction early on, I was mostly self-taught, learning by reading and looking at furniture made by masters.

Then came the internet.  I joined the Old Tool List and stumbled across all the forums.  My recollection of the forums was that it was 70% talk about tools, both finding old tools in the wild and restoring them and also the new tool offerings by LN, LV, and later everybody else.  Only 25% was about using these tools to build things.  But I got swept up in the tool talk.  As I got older I could afford some of the shiny tools I drooled over decades earlier.  I bought thousands of dollars of tools, special numbered edition planes from LN, handmade planes from Clark & Williams, saws from Mike Wenzloff and every month a box of stuff came from Patrick Leach.  I was sort of out of control.  

About this time (ten years ago) I stopped making things except tool boxes and shop fittings.  I sort of lost my way.  Fortunately, fate intervened and I was sidelined with a brain tumor and a difficult operation and recovery.  I'm fine now, but for a couple of years I really wasn't fine.  I stopped doing everything as a woodworker except some home renovation.  But then, last August, I got divorced and had to move out of the house and shop I'd been in for 20+ years.  I've had to move all of my tools and equipment, lumber and supplies, into a storage unit.  Now I'm in a small one-bedroom apartment that has a tiny room that I can use as a hand tool only shop.  I moved in the small 48-inch Sjobergs bench and am building a Dutch tool chest.  When I need a tool for some aspect of the build, I go to the storage unit and get it, clean it, sharpen it and will put it in the chest when I am done.  I have a few other projects lined-up when the chest is finished and I will fill it with only the tools I actually use.  I am considering selling all the rest of the tools that I own, once I have the user "set" completed.  Then I'll focus on building things.  I'll post some pictures as I go along, once I figure out how to do that.

So that's my story.  What is yours?
I'm about your age and yes I remember "Silvo Hardware".  I wish I would have kept a catalog, I think they were out of Philadelphia.  I also have a pile or two of tools, that I should start thinning out.  At least get down to multiple's of two.  Good news is that I am now semi picky about adding to the collection.

RE: Collector vs User: My story - C. in Indy - 12-06-2019

(12-05-2019, 03:55 PM)DCarr10760 Wrote:  
I can relate to this!   I especially had to laugh about workshop-students making bongs and pipe parts
Smile
In the late 1970s in Southern Illinois, my Jr.-High shop teacher worked in 3 modes:  Hardwood, Balsa, and Plexiglas/Polycarbonate.   The boys in my class were always generating peace-pipe apparati when the teacher wasn't looking.
My story is a little different than yours, but a lot in common too.

RE: Collector vs User: My story - Rob Young - 12-06-2019

(12-05-2019, 09:33 PM)toolmiser Wrote:  I also have a pile or two of tools, that I should start thinning out.  At least get down to multiple's of two. 

I resemble that remark...

RE: Collector vs User: My story - hbmcc - 12-06-2019

Still crafting on the radial arm saw table. There is no room for the workbenches in the garage. I am seeking the necessary for Occam's razor right now.

RE: Collector vs User: My story - BrokenOlMarine - 12-06-2019

I have always made things, as far back as I can remember .  When I was a youngster, I had a nice CO2 pellet pistol that got dropped, and the plastic grip panel broke on one side.  "That's the end of that." One of my friends said.  I made new grips from a slat from the bottom of a wooden coke crate.  ( remember returnable 12 ounce glass bottles?). I was surprised they turned out so well. 
Rolleyes

My mother remarried when I wad in high school, and that stepfather was a gifted carpenter / wood worker and owned a small construction company.  I worked for him off and on as school allowed, and learned a lot, mainly to do the job right, every time.  If you make a mistake, correct it.  I still have a few of his tools, they are priceless to me.

I built my collection and skills over the years, slowly but surely, and had the support of Miss Tina for the last twenty five plus, encouraging me to push my limits.  Her faith made me take chances.  I've had her behind me to handle the small stuff so I could focus on the tasks at hand, so I have a decent shop, decent tools, and a place where my physical challenges can be overcome.

Slower these days, but still hacking away.

Cool

RE: Collector vs User: My story - daddo - 12-06-2019

I well remember my first woodworking project at the age of 16. I lived at home and wanted the 12x12 building behind the house to be my bedroom. My dad and I insulated and paneled the room, installed a window a/c and fixed the roof.
I wanted a bunk bed for space saving and my dad always supported me in whatever I did, but I wanted this to be my project. With a few 2x4's, a hammer and nails and a handsaw, I built the frame. I still remember that swaying contraption, but it never fell apart. I know dad must have been chuckling. But I was proud of it.
 At 18 years he bought me a circular saw from Sears, then a router from Sears at the age of 21. Married at 24, I began my collections of what I could afford.
I had the old door as a workbench too and made quite a few interesting things and repairs to the home we rented from my BIL who was TDY in Germany.
I wasn't until the early 90's was I able to start really buying table saws and so forth, and I've been collecting ever since now at the age of 65.  I'm still gaining tools since my curiosity to know and learn what I don't know drives me. The metal lathe and old milling machine was my next step. The fact that something could be made within .0005" fascinated me and I had to learn it. I made my first shaft that firmly pressed into a bearing after much practice and many failures.
I have made so many pieces of furniture I could never imagine the count. But I got bored, so I began making abstract objects- different than the norm.
Twisted or curved lamps, curved cabinets and shelves, imaginary objects, and found a new interest in geometry.

I do metal and wood now. Welding, bending, cutting, turning, milling- wood Adirondack chairs, vanities, tables,...............

What slowed me down was "purpose". Suddenly, it all had to have a purpose or I couldn't understand "why do it"?  People just wouldn't spend 300 on a small table that would last them generations when a cheap fall apart could be bought at the store for 20 bucks. It seemed no one appreciated craftsmanship and wanted that cheap screw together furniture you see sold at flea markets. So I build for myself as I need.  I buy old machines and restore them, build belt grinders and some tools.
 Now, I only have an old 500 sq ft of shop and it is full to the brim with machines and tools affording me a decent but smaller area to actually work in.
I don't plan on thinning out. I still have more to learn and experiment with.

I just cut a huge 24" tree down in the back. I cut the limbs and stacked for burning, but I'll keep the trunk for maybe a fun project.

Talk to me when I'm 80. 
Wink

RE: Collector vs User: My story - ScotchPine - 12-09-2019

I guess I started by watching my father in the shop he did not do woodworking but would work on and fix anything.   He did all of the electrical in the house we lived in repaired all of our car issues no matter how involved, things like that.  My father and I did a lot of auto body work when I was in high school we had a great time learning new skills.   

It was not until later in life when I married and meet my FIL that I started to take more of an interest in woodworking he spent most evenings in the shop and was very prolific and a fairly good woodworker.   My wife and I bought a house that should have been torn down and started repairing it.  We started with carpentry work but also needed some cabinetry skills along the way and once finished with the house I moved into more refined woodworking, I got addicted to Greene and Greene. 

I started buying woodworking tools in the 90s and 00s and it may or may not have gotten out of hand.  I picked up a penchant for Miller Falls and Greenlee tools I don’t know exactly what drew me to them other then they were not Stanley.  I found the difference from the Stanley tools interesting also other people were not looking for Miller Falls and Greenlee tools as much and I could get them cheaper.  I now have an  abundance of both of these brands of tools as well as auger bits for some reason. 

I am at the point that I know realized that I have no use or reason for all of these tools and will soon be paring down the collection to something more reasonable and I also know now what tools I do and will use so the extras will need to move on to a new caretaker.

RE: Collector vs User: My story - TomFromStLouis - 12-11-2019

The only time my tool buying may have gotten a bit out of hand was my Chisel Binge on EBay. I bought multiple lots of handleless chisels and assembled two complete sets up to 2” wide (bevel edged and straight sided). I returned quite a few to the EBay market. Both sets take on second string tasks behind my Japanese chisels but I do reach for them enough to call them users.

Good thing we aren’t talking about hoarding wood though.