Woodnet Forums
Delta TS ? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Delta TS ? (/showthread.php?tid=7351676)

Pages: 1 2

Delta TS ? - Halfathumb - 12-09-2019

I posted this on the PT section and quite views but no help. Maybe a larger audience can offer some help

2 Questions:

#1: Making my own zero insert doesn't work out well when I make my own. I use good RO, but making room for the riving knife the insert usually splits. Does anyone else have this problem? I have made zero inserts in the past with no problems. When I don't need the riving knife opening they work great.

#2:  Recently I have developed a problem with getting the the thicker riving knife down past the "thru cut line". The thinner riving knife works fine. Suggestions.?I have cleaned and lubricated the knife, the clamp post & plate. Any help please!

RE: Delta TS ? - Robin Dobbie - 12-09-2019

[Image: cAuxbgy.jpg]

Are you saying it's splitting here?

Have you tried those phenolic blanks?

RE: Delta TS ? - ®smpr_fi_mac® - 12-09-2019

Instead of running the entire blank through the blade (if that's what you're doing now), install a 7" circular saw in the machine. Place the blank in place; held down with the fence. Raise the blade through the blank. Remove your now mostly-cut insert and reinstall the 10". Run it up all the way.

Now you have connections at both ends.

Run the blank through the raised blade just far enough to grant space for the splitter. If it's too tight, move the fence back and forth a little to widen the opening as needed.

RE: Delta TS ? - Halfathumb - 12-10-2019

(12-09-2019, 10:21 AM)Robin Dobbie Wrote: [Image: cAuxbgy.jpg]

Are you saying it's splitting here?

Have you tried those phenolic blanks?
I guess that's where I'm headed. $$$

RE: Delta TS ? - Halfathumb - 12-10-2019

(12-09-2019, 10:37 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Instead of running the entire blank through the blade (if that's what you're doing now), install a 7" circular saw in the machine.  Place the blank in place; held down with the fence.  Raise the blade through the blank.  Remove your now mostly-cut insert and reinstall the 10".  Run it up all the way.

Run the blank through the raised blade just far enough to grant space for the splitter.  If it's too tight, move the fence back and forth a little to widen the opening as needed.

The main problems is not having enough room for the RK, but I posted the question to Delta about getting the RK to seat properly. Haven't heard back yet, just posted yesterday

RE: Delta TS ? - Ohio Mike - 12-10-2019

Would this work?

[Image: 49199031471_36e53eaed1_c.jpg]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DnBcJDQMBE

Mike

RE: Delta TS ? - mikefm101 - 12-11-2019

You are using red oak????

I was always told not to use solid wood for a ZCI plate as the risk of it splitting was too high.

I’ve always made mine from 1/2” ply or MDF.

For the initial cut I fully lower the arbor, put in an outside cutter from the dado set, secure the rip fence over the ZCI, and then raise the blade.

Mike

RE: Delta TS ? - brianwelch - 12-11-2019

(12-11-2019, 09:36 AM)mikefm101 Wrote: You are using red oak????

I was always told not to use solid wood for a ZCI plate as the risk of it splitting was too high.  

I’ve always made mine from 1/2” ply or MDF.  

For the initial cut I fully lower the arbor, put in an outside cutter from the dado set, secure the rip fence over the ZCI, and then raise the blade.  

Mike

I agree...I have used corian/phenolic waste as well. Corian can be a little tough, so I don't use my best blade for the initial kerfs, and yes, first cut with an 8" blade, followed by a 10"

RE: Delta TS ? - Mike 55 - 12-12-2019

(12-11-2019, 09:48 AM)brianwelch Wrote: I agree...I have used corian/phenolic waste as well. Corian can be a little tough, so I don't use my best blade for the initial kerfs, and yes, first cut with an 8" blade, followed by a 10"

Please explain why you use the 8" blade first? I need to make a bunch of these too.

Thanks

Mike

RE: Delta TS ? - Halfathumb - 12-12-2019

(12-09-2019, 10:37 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Instead of running the entire blank through the blade (if that's what you're doing now), install a 7" circular saw in the machine.  Place the blank in place; held down with the fence.  Raise the blade through the blank.  Remove your now mostly-cut insert and reinstall the 10".  Run it up all the way.

Run the blank through the raised blade just far enough to grant space for the splitter.  If it's too tight, move the fence back and forth a little to widen the opening as needed.

Ok Marine. Why bother using 2 different size blades? Why not just raise the 10" a partial of the way up?