Woodnet Forums
Need help with angles to cut - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Need help with angles to cut (/showthread.php?tid=7351748)

Need help with angles to cut - Wayne G. - 12-11-2019

I'm wanting to make a baseball home plate shadow box but Im having difficulty with the angles.  Have any of you built one of these?  What cut angles did you use?

Thanks,
Wayne

RE: Need help with angles to cut - srv52761 - 12-11-2019

Home plate is a pentagon made by a rectangle and a triangle adjacent below it.
The rectangle is 17” x  8.5”.  The adjacent triangle below it is an isosceles right triangle with its base of 17” coincident with the rectangular portion, so the triangular base angles are each 45°; plus the 90° of the adjoining rectangle gives an angle of 135°.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t answer your question... Looking at it from above as if you were the umpire, and starting from the top right the angles are 90°, 135°, 90°, 135°, 90°. For a total of 540°. (I started umpiring 46 years ago, just retired this summer... I have... never mind)

RE: Need help with angles to cut - rectangle618 - 12-11-2019

(12-11-2019, 08:19 PM)Wayne G. Wrote: I'm wanting to make a baseball home plate shadow box but Im having difficulty with the angles.  Have any of you built one of these?  What cut angles did you use?

MLB Field Dimensions
http://m.mlb.com/glossary/rules/field-dimensions
"Home plate is a 17-inch square of whitened rubber with two of the corners removed so that one edge is 17 inches long, two adjacent sides are 8 1/2 inches each and the remaining two sides are 12 inches each and set at an angle to make a point. The 17-inch side faces the pitcher’s plate, and the two 12-inch edges coincide with the first- and third-base lines. The back tip of home plate must be 127 feet, 3 and 3/8 inches away from second base."

There are three 90 degree angles and two 135 degree angles.

RE: Need help with angles to cut - Wayne G. - 12-13-2019

So I found the answer.  Its simply 6 - 45s and 4-22.5s.