Woodnet Forums
Round head tack hammer use? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Round head tack hammer use? (/showthread.php?tid=7351760)

Round head tack hammer use? - Pirate - 12-12-2019

Just came across a tack hammer with a round head. Other side is split.
What is the rounded head used for?
For driving tacks, when you don't want to damage the surrounding material?

RE: Round head tack hammer use? - Bill_Houghton - 12-12-2019

When you say "round head," do you mean, "domed?"  If so, yes: drive tacks without damaging adjacent surface, or drive tacks into carpet. Time was, every household had a tack hammer for carpet tacks.

The split face was probably magnetized originally - the split turns that side of the head into a very narrow horseshoe magnet.  In my experience, they tend to lose their magnetism over the years.  Tack hammers with inserted magnets are better.

RE: Round head tack hammer use? - Pirate - 12-12-2019

(12-12-2019, 01:24 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: When you say "round head," do you mean, "domed?"  If so, yes: drive tacks without damaging adjacent surface, or drive tacks into carpet.  Time was, every household had a tack hammer for carpet tacks.

The split face was probably magnetized originally - the split turns that side of the head into a very narrow horseshoe magnet.  In my experience, they tend to lose their magnetism over the years.  Tack hammers with inserted magnets are better.

Thanks. I guess domed is a better description.

RE: Round head tack hammer use? - cputnam - 12-12-2019

My ex-father-in-law (now deceased) was an old school upholsterer. He bought sanitized tacks and could set and drive tacks faster and more accurately than most folks can stale with a pneumatic staple gun. He could also measure fabric out to about 36" within 1/4" by eye. I guess 40 years of experience helps.

RE: Round head tack hammer use? - toolmiser - 12-12-2019

Has anyone had any luck "remagnatizing" a tack hammer. I tried a few methods years ago with no success. I probably have 5-6 old tack hammers in the shop and none have a working magnet.

RE: Round head tack hammer use? - MarkSingleton - 12-12-2019

Just need a strong magnet. Fix one pole of the magnet on one side of the split head. Wait a few minutes
and then put the opposing pole of the magnet on the other side of the head.

RE: Round head tack hammer use? - hbmcc - 12-13-2019

Gads!!!! I. Really. Am Old. Now!!! People don't know what a tack hammer is!. 
Crazy

If the magnet didn't work only little kids could hold the tack and tap it. That was our job when dad had upholstery or "tacking work" to do and the starter side lost grip. Start the nail. Lots of sore fingers and blood blisters. I also remember pounding longer ones through lath and laying booby traps for the neighbor kids when we played war. We were hellions.

RE: Round head tack hammer use? - Bill_Houghton - 12-14-2019

(12-13-2019, 07:44 PM)hbmcc Wrote: If the magnet didn't work only little kids could hold the tack and tap it.

Stick tack through piece of paper.  Line up.  Tap with hammer until it's definitely started.  Yank paper off.

RE: Round head tack hammer use? - hbmcc - 12-14-2019

(12-14-2019, 12:11 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Stick tack through piece of paper.  Line up.  Tap with hammer until it's definitely started.  Yank paper off.

Or, put that little food machine who's being a pest to useful purpose. Dad was a teacher at heart, so it worked out both ways.