Woodnet Forums
Boxes - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Boxes (/showthread.php?tid=7351915)

Pages: 1 2

Boxes - SteveS - 12-19-2019

First box is curly spalted BLM with African blackwood corner posts and the lid is plum with Santos mahogany strips and African blackwood pulls with polished brass pins.

[attachment=22336]

Next is curly spalted BLM with Santos mahogany and the lid is curly maple with ropey quilt/pommele sapele (figure reminds me of heavy paint runs) with a handle of African blackwood.

[attachment=22337]

RE: Boxes - Aram - 12-19-2019

(12-19-2019, 10:01 AM)SteveS Wrote: Next is curly spalted BLM with Santos mahogany and the lid is curly maple with ropey quilt/pommele sapele (figure reminds me of heavy paint runs) with a handle of African blackwood.

Nice to see tasteful contrast, not easy to pull off -- well done. How did you make the grooves on the handle?

RE: Boxes - SteveS - 12-19-2019

I used a mini carving gouge. African blackwood carved easier than I thought it would. It carved as easily as gabon ebony.

RE: Boxes - Turner52 - 12-19-2019

Beautiful wood displayed beautifully. Great job. I have never done boxes but all of the ones I keep seeing on this site might get me motivated to try some. Most of my work is round turney things. I use all different woods for the patterns, but don;t have any figured wood. Will have to keep my eyes open and see if i can find some.

RE: Boxes - Big Dave - 12-19-2019

(12-19-2019, 12:17 PM)Aram Wrote: Nice to see tasteful contrast, not easy to pull off -- well done.

What Aram said.

Well done.

Cool
Cool

RE: Boxes - Edwin Hackleman - 12-19-2019

Maybe my best box - a solid cherry tool box:
[attachment=22346]
I really enjoyed making it -- two of them. I gave one to a friend. It includes a lift-out tray (not shown here).

RE: Boxes - Gary G™ - 12-19-2019

Very handsome boxes.

RE: Boxes - Birdseye Bill - 12-19-2019

Pretty boxes. If they are gifts, they will be loved by the recipient, I'm sure. What is blm? I googled it and came up with bureau of land management wood. It looks like tiger maple on my tablet. Good work, keep it up.

RE: Boxes - TomFromStLouis - 12-19-2019

BLM = big leaf maple

RE: Boxes - stav - 12-20-2019

Those are a couple of beautiful boxes.  Nice work.