Woodnet Forums
Workbench End Vise Can Also... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Workbench End Vise Can Also... (/showthread.php?tid=7351924)

Pages: 1 2

Workbench End Vise Can Also... - Edwin Hackleman - 12-19-2019

... be used to straighten a long, bent chainsaw bar:
[attachment=22343]
This is a 32" long bent bar being straightened.  Just use three short lengths and the vise to bend it back, opposite the bend. I usually let it sit bent overnight rather than try to do it fast, adjusting and bending again as need be. I've straightened and saved a dozen or so bars this way. The Veritas twin screw has no problem, but I must admit that when I built the vise, I beefed it up with 1/2" dia. guide rods, not visible here.

Thanks for looking.

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - farmerj111 - 12-19-2019

(12-19-2019, 04:48 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: ... be used to straighten a long, bent chainsaw bar:

This is a 32" long bent bar being straightened.  Just use three short lengths and the vise to bend it back, opposite the bend. I usually let it sit bent overnight rather than try to do it fast, adjusting and bending again as need be. I've straightened and saved a dozen or so bars this way. The Veritas twin screw has no problem, but I must admit that when I built the vise, I beefed it up with 1/2" dia. guide rods, not visible here.

Thanks for looking.

Clever use of your vice.  Now I want to hear how big the tree was that bent your 32" bar.
Smile

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - Edwin Hackleman - 12-19-2019

(12-19-2019, 06:14 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: Clever use of your vise.  Now I want to hear how big the tree was that bent your 32" bar.
Smile

One of these but it was not my bar -- a friend's bar:
[attachment=22345]
Rather large, but he dropped it. A big cottonwood, and they grow big in Nebraska. These trees are used by the sawmill to make pallets. I convert the tops of his trees to firewood when he calls me and repair his saws (and bars).

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - farmerj111 - 12-19-2019

(12-19-2019, 07:08 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: One of these but it was not my bar -- a friend's bar:

Rather large, but he dropped it. A big cottonwood, and they grow big in Nebraska. These trees are used by the sawmill to make pallets. I convert the tops of his trees to firewood when he calls me and repair his saws (and bars).

Wow, I know cottonwood cuts pretty easy, but that's still a big cut.

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - Edwin Hackleman - 12-20-2019

(12-19-2019, 07:14 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: Wow, I know cottonwood cuts pretty easy, but that's still a big cut.
He's an expert at it. Take a look at this one:
[attachment=22366]
One of these trees will just about fill his 50' flat-bed bunk trailer that he pulls with his Peterbilt. They get so big that occasionally he has to noodle cut the log in half to load it. Usually he buck cuts them to 9' lengths. Most of the time he runs a 36" bar, but he carries 30" and 32" also -- nothing shorter than a 30". I've straightened several and replaced quite a few bar tips for him. The tips wear out long before the rest of the bar does.

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - Axehandle - 12-21-2019

I’ve straightened them on an anvil with a hard rubber piece on top of the anvil. Takes some time.

That way looks easier. I don’t have a wide vise though. Have to find one.

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - RichK - 12-25-2019

Is cottonwood only good for pallets and firewood?
I've never worked with it.

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - Timberwolf - 12-25-2019

(12-19-2019, 07:08 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: One of these but it was not my bar -- a friend's bar:

Have you checked to see what cottonwood bark sells for on Ebay?
Big eek
Big eek

Carvers love it!!!!!
Big Grin

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - tablesawtom - 12-25-2019

(12-25-2019, 10:14 AM)RichK Wrote: Is cottonwood only good for pallets and firewood?
I've never worked with it.

Cottonwood is straight grained and light. Holds screws good. Good wood for over stuffed chairs and couches,  Like bass wood and poplar crafters like it because it paints well  and doesn't seem to absorb paint so it goes farther. if one likes painted cabinets it is a good choice . As far as firewood not a lot of BTU's burns more quickly, good choice when starting a fire and a great wood for firewood if it is free.

Tom

RE: Workbench End Vise Can Also... - K. L. McReynolds - 12-25-2019

Yeah, better for furniture than firewood.
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes