Woodnet Forums
Just a pile of scraps... - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Just a pile of scraps... (/showthread.php?tid=7351961)

Pages: 1 2

Just a pile of scraps... - bandit571 - 12-22-2019

[attachment=22379]
Left over Ash.    Decided to resaw this mess down a bit....some were just under 1/2" thick..
[attachment=22380]
Actually, about 0.445"..more or less....then there was the cut-offs..
[attachment=22381]
Most were 0.290" thick, some a bit thicker....

None were flat...we have ways..
Rolleyes
[attachment=22382]
Sorted through the thicker parts...resaw a few edges....found 5 strips about the same size...and cross cut til the matched, then glue and clamps..
Rolleyes
[attachment=22383]
And set this aside.   Sorted through a few wider strips....found 2 that were the longest of the bunch...one was a tad too long...we have ways..
[attachment=22384]
Until I had 2 that were ~11" long.....then repeat to find a couple 6-1/2" long...
[attachment=22385]
Then laid out to do box joints...using a chisel to "size" the fingers...
[attachment=22386]
Backsaw to make a few cuts...
[attachment=22387]
Then the same chisel to do a little chopping...
[attachment=22388]
Ends of 2 long sides are done....
Cool

Part 2 coming up, stay tuned...
Winkgrin

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - bandit571 - 12-22-2019

Most of the "work" was getting these slats the same size, and flat.    Stanley #3 was used a lot.   Joint a few edges, plane sides flat....Wanted the parts to side in the vise.
[attachment=22389]
So 2 parts looked like one.   Lay out the fingers, using the width of the 6mm Mortise chisel.   Once things were all marked out, Then I could drop the pair down low in the vise, so they wouldn't vibrate from the saw...
[attachment=22390]
Then a square and a knife, to score a "base line"....then clamp one part to the bench...chop 1/2 way down at each finger.   Flip the board other, and repeat...
Once the first two sets were all nicely done..
[attachment=22391]
I could repeat at the other ends of these two boards.    Then marked one of the short ends as a "1" to match one of the long sides.   Lay out the fingers, cut the waste sides of the lines, chop the waste away...and hope it fits...
Rolleyes  
[attachment=22392]
Will do for one corner...only 3 more to do....

Spent a little over 2 hours in the shop, today....was getting a bit tired out.....there's always tomorrow.   Might see about milling a groove for a plywood bottom, after the fingers are all done.  Glue up is for a lid.   And..there might be enough "leftovers" for a second, smaller box.    The thins?    Maybe a tray, or maybe some dividers?

Stay tuned....

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - Robin Dobbie - 12-22-2019

Respect for hand-cut joinery. And that bench is the woodworking personification of Johnny Cash while he was singing Hurt.

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - hbmcc - 12-22-2019

Steve, I thought you were on medical leave? You're killing that scrap! 
Big Grin

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - bandit571 - 12-22-2019

Boredom...
Rolleyes 

Got the ends done, tonight...
Winkgrin 
[attachment=22407]
Mark them out, saw on the waste side of the lines, trying to leave the lines...Chisel from both faces, until the squares pop out...test fit a few 
[attachment=22408]
Then clamp all the parts together...
[attachment=22409]
And check the fits...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=22410]
Need to set up a plane...to plow a groove for the bottom panel...
[attachment=22411]

Then I can fine tune the corners, and maybe do a glue up....

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - bandit571 - 12-27-2019

Lets see....Stanley #3 needed a sharpening....AND the #12 cutter for the Stanley #45....got those done.   Then set up a jig of sorts..
Rolleyes 
[attachment=22505]
Nothing fancy, just enough to hold things still, long enough to plow a groove...
Winkgrin  
[attachment=22506]
Then needed to just move a couple screws, to do the longer sides..
[attachment=22507]
Plywood scrap I was using to check things with...was a bit thinner than the panel I was going to use, for the bottom...anyway, got 4 grooves milled..
[attachment=22508]
And made sure they all lined up....Then a few marks to cut the plywood to size....was still too thick...so...
[attachment=22509]
Stanley #60-1/2 to make a beveled edge all the way around, both faces....then a dry fit..
[attachment=22510]
Mainly to get the clamps ready.   Then spread some glue on the fingers...mine included...and started adding clamps 
[attachment=22511]
Flip this mess over, check the corners for square.   Add a couple more clamps.   Some of those clamps were removed from the lid...
[attachment=22512]
Lid will be the next item on the list,  needs flattened out.  May get to the shop after a while today....remove the forest of clamps, and clean up the box's corners.

Stay tuned
Winkgrin

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - Arlin Eastman - 12-27-2019

I love to see your works in progress.
Yes

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - Bibliophile 13 - 12-28-2019

Finger joints be hand, eh? I always go for dovetails in that situation, but only because I think they look nicer. But as long as the joints are tight, it’s rock-solid joinery.

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - bandit571 - 12-29-2019

Clamps came off, clean up began..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=22541]
Between the plane, and the sanders, got the corners dressed up..
[attachment=22542]
Looking along the longer side of the box...
[attachment=22543]
And one of the shorter sides...soon had all 4 corners done..
Cool
[attachment=22544]
Time to get the lid down to size...trimmed for length, but...
[attachment=22545]
Width was a bit different.   There WAS a large knot along one edge, trimmed that off....then cobbled a lift/handle in the other edge...
Cool
[attachment=22546]
Lid itself, had a couple thinner sections, decided to "resaw" the thicker parts away....then scrub away what the tablesaw couldn't reach..
[attachment=22547]
And a few burn marks....Corsair #C-5, 8" radius camber....then sanded things smooth...
[attachment=22548]
Almost done, had that one spot to level out....Lid is 3/8" thick....might be a bit of a challenge when looking for a few hinges? 
Confused

May build a base for this to sit in, and see above a few dividers for the inside....Kind of shallow (2") to make a tray?  We'll see
Confused

Lumber run yesterday, three planks 4/4 x 6 x 9'......$12.   All quarter sawn Ash.  Had to cut them down a bit, to fit in the van....now standing up, getting used to the house.  Average length is now about 54".    Stash is now up to 8 such boards.   Since my supplier is now heading to the land down under ( Sydney) I thought I had better stock up.
Winkgrin
Stay tuned.....I be moving at the speed of smell..
Rolleyes

RE: Just a pile of scraps... - bandit571 - 12-31-2019

planks...
Confused
[attachment=22593]
planks...
Winkgrin  
[attachment=22594]
end grain...
[attachment=22595]
Might be able to find some use for these 8 boards?
Rolleyes