Woodnet Forums
basic " " of woodworking? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: basic " " of woodworking? (/showthread.php?tid=7352101)

Pages: 1 2

basic " " of woodworking? - toolmiser - 12-30-2019

I read once that all woodworking basically is one of two operations.  !st one is chiseling, meaning cutting, planing, etc. all are pretty much a variation of using a chisel.  My problem is I can't remember the second and I should be able to figure it out.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste.  

It might have been  Christhopher Swartz when he was a guest on Woodwright Shop with Roy Underhill.  It probably wasn't original from him either.

I thought it was interesting, but not enough to recall

Thanks1

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - DaveR1 - 12-30-2019

Is it cleaning up all the stuff you chiseled off?
Big Grin

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - omark - 12-30-2019

Measuring? Assemblying? Finishing? Thinking?
Cleaning mentioned above is good candidate too...
Smile

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - TheCabinetmaker - 12-30-2019

I would think that sawing would be important. I personally look at woodworking  as a process  of subtraction (cutting and shaping of the individual pieces) and addition (gluing the pieces together).

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - iclark - 12-30-2019

Sawing, filing, scraping, shearing, and rasping all use the same sort of cutting action as a chisel (some of them on very different scales, of course).

Sanding/grinding come to mind as possibly different.

Measuring/designing mentioned above also seem possible. Cleaning up after the chiseling would seem like a throw-away type joke to me. So, CS could have said that.

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - Ohio Mike - 12-30-2019

(12-30-2019, 12:22 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I read once that all woodworking basically is one of two operations.  !st one is chiseling, meaning cutting, planing, etc. all are pretty much a variation of using a chisel.  My problem is I can't remember the second and I should be able to figure it out.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste.  

It might have been  Christhopher Swartz when he was a guest on Woodwright Shop with Roy Underhill.  It probably wasn't original from him either.

I thought it was interesting, but not enough to recall

Thanks1

I believe it was Chiseling which was defined as any woodworking operation requiring a cutting tool - and Hammering which was defined as the application of force.  I don't remember where I heard it either.

Mike

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - Willyou - 12-30-2019

I think the act of "fitting" might encompass design, measuring, assembly, fastening, etc. I guess that if you are trying to pare it down to bare bones basics, finishing and clean-up aren't really wood working. And, in my case, thinking is hardly basic :>)

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - cputnam - 12-30-2019

Since almost anything can be built with just a chisel, I'll suggest design as the missing half.

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - WJB - 12-30-2019

Per Roy Underhill, all operations fall under wedge or edge.

RE: basic " " of woodworking? - Axehandle - 01-01-2020

The answer is chiseling and masking your chiseling mistakes.