Woodnet Forums
BAND SAw blade recommendsation - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: BAND SAw blade recommendsation (/showthread.php?tid=7352152)

Pages: 1 2

BAND SAw blade recommendsation - weelis - 01-02-2020

I have the Delta 14" handsaw and my last blade just broke..Need to replace 93 1/2 inch x 1/2 blade for resawing.  Any recommendations as to what blade to buy without having to get a bank lean?  Thanks for any input.

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - jteneyck - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 04:36 PM)weelis Wrote: I have the Delta 14" handsaw and my last blade just broke..Need to replace 93 1/2 inch x 1/2 blade for resawing.  Any recommendations as to what blade to buy without having to get a bank lean?  Thanks for any input.

Any 1/2"  3 tpi blade will work well for awhile.  If you do much resawing, however, a bimetal blade will last a lot longer.  I had good luck with Olson MVP blades.  They don't cut as smoothly as some blades, but they last a really long time. Lenox Diemaster 2 blades work well, too, though I thought the Olson MVP blades were more durable.  Starrett bimetal blades, if you can find them, are really good, too.  

John

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - Willyou - 01-02-2020

For what it's worth, I get better results with 3/8" blades on my 14" Delta with riser. I guess this is due to less resistance.

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - Big Dave - 01-02-2020

I've been using Supercut blades for about 15 years now with no issues. I've been rather impressed with them.
Yes

And, I kinda like the fact they're made just up the road from me... 
Winkgrin

Dave

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - sniper - 01-02-2020

The best resaw blade I've ever found is the Wood Slicer from Highland Hardware

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/wood-slicer-resaw-bandsaw-blades.aspx

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - wood-chips - 01-03-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:00 PM)sniper Wrote: The best resaw blade I've ever found is the Wood Slicer from Highland Hardware

Same here.

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - bjmh4 - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 12:11 AM)wood-chips Wrote: Same here.

I agree with John on the bimetal blades.  Olson is a fine blade (1/2-3tpi) but since you don't have a riser block and ~6" is all you'll ever resaw on that machine, go for the lenox 1/2-4  .025 blade.  Lenox bimetal is as good as it gets, but the 1/2-3 only comes in .035 thick.  Unless you only want to resaw very very occasionally, i'd not recommend the woodslicer and it's relatives--they just don't last!

Regards
Bob

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - justdraftn - 01-03-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:00 PM)sniper Wrote: The best resaw blade I've ever found is the Wood Slicer from Highland Hardware

(01-03-2020, 12:11 AM)wood-chips Wrote: Same here.

Do you ever use a 1/8" blade from Wood Slicer?
Have you ever used a Laguna Resaw King blade?
How would it compare to the Wood Slicer?

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - justdraftn - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 06:00 AM)bjmh4 Wrote:   Olson is a fine blade (1/2-3tpi) , i'd not recommend the woodslicer and it's relatives--they just don't last!

Regards
Bob

I have been using Olson blades for awhile.  They seem to be ok.

Care to expand on that woodslicer statement.....
Their prices look very inviting.

I run a Laguna Resaw King.  
Pricey, but it eats up anything I feed it 
w/a really nice finish.

RE: BAND SAw blade recommendsation - Hank Knight - 01-03-2020

(01-03-2020, 07:31 AM)justdraftn Wrote: Do you ever use a 1/8" blade from Wood Slicer?
Have you ever used a Laguna Resaw King blade?
How would it compare to the Wood Slicer?

I've never used a 1/8" blade of any kind.

I've used both Wood Slicer and Resaw King resaw blades. Started with Wood Slicer years ago and liked it. It has a thin kerf and leaves a nice finish, but the criticism that it doesn't last long is correct. It dulls fairly quickly and can't be resharpened - at least I've not found them to be. On the positive side, they're relatively inexpensive. I'd consider them a good disposable blade for occasional resawing.

When I bought a Laguna 18" bandsaw, Laguna threw in a 1" Resaw King blade to sweeten the deal. It is a game changer. It's carbide tipped with a relatively thin kerf and it leaves a better surface than the Wood Slicer. It can be resharpened professionally, but in 7 or 8 years of moderate use, mine is still cutting like a new blade. If you're cutting veneer, this is the blade to have. The downside is that it is really expensive.