Woodnet Forums
Rough or smooth? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rough or smooth? (/showthread.php?tid=7352214)

Pages: 1 2

Rough or smooth? - Scouter - 01-06-2020

Planning on adding leather faces to my bench vise, I had them on the old bench and liked the more secure grip than I get with the hard wood faces on my new bench. But that got me thinking: would the grip be better if the rough surface faced the work pieces? Every bench I've seen has the smooth surfaces facing out, but is that because it's better, because it looks nicer on the showroom floor, or just because that's the way it's always been done?

Thoughts?

RE: Rough or smooth? - Robin Dobbie - 01-06-2020

It sounds like you'd be OK with the looks either way, so why not go with whatever grips the work better?

Put a weight on the leather, clip a fishing scale to it, see how much force it takes to move it. Flip the leather and see if there's a significant difference. If a fishing scale isn't available, some string over the side of the workbench with varying amount of weights attached could be an indicator.

RE: Rough or smooth? - Wild Turkey - 01-06-2020

I'd be concerned that the unfinished surface would hold debris than might mar the surface.

RE: Rough or smooth? - handi - 01-06-2020

Whichever face you decide to use, I would want to make them removable. I have found that there are times when I need the vise jaws to hold a part without any compression. This is why we use hard maple rather than pine for vise jaws. 

In addition, replacing the leather faces if they get damaged or work will be much easier.

I would look at a wood substrate with leather bonded on. The back of the jaw cover can have dowels that mate with holes in the hardwood jaws. A couple of rare earth magnets will keep them in place.

This set up would also allow for special jaw covers for holding round or odd shaped items.

RE: Rough or smooth? - Scouter - 01-06-2020

(01-06-2020, 11:04 AM)handi Wrote: Whichever face you decide to use, I would want to make them removable. I have found that there are times when I need the vise jaws to hold a part without any compression. This is why we use hard maple rather than pine for vise jaws. 

In addition, replacing the leather faces if they get damaged or work will be much easier.

I would look at a wood substrate with leather bonded on. The back of the jaw cover can have dowels that mate with holes in the hardwood jaws. A couple of rare earth magnets will keep them in place.

This set up would also allow for special jaw covers for holding round or odd shaped items.

I was considering a spray adhesive, I have found that they peel off easily. There is some residue, but goop removes that. Sound good?

(01-06-2020, 10:35 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I'd be concerned that the unfinished surface would hold debris than might mar the surface.

That's an interesting thought. Monitor and vacuum?

RE: Rough or smooth? - EdL - 01-06-2020

I used spray adhesive on mine, no complaints.

Ed

RE: Rough or smooth? - MichaelMouse - 01-06-2020

(01-06-2020, 11:13 AM)Scouter Wrote: That's an interesting thought. Monitor and vacuum?

Brass bristle flux brush from the Borg. Handy for all kinds of uses.

I use true poplar (popple) jaws on mine. Deforms without split. Interlocked grain, y'know.

(01-06-2020, 11:22 AM)EdL Wrote: I used spray adhesive on mine, no complaints.

Ed

Thanks.

RE: Rough or smooth? - Handplanesandmore - 01-06-2020

Given the jaw clamping pressure, it doesn't matter which side of the leather is used. My vises have the smooth and rough leather faces installed for years, and no difference has been observed whatsoever.

Simon