Woodnet Forums
Latest turnings - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Latest turnings (/showthread.php?tid=7352316)

Latest turnings - jcredding - 01-12-2020

I recently started playing with the combination of Hawaiian koa and Gabon ebony, and made these for my wife. All are 18 segments per ring with a solid koa base and finished with a wipe on poly. I really like the combination, so plan to try a few different forms and see how they come out. These are 8” across x 7 tall, 6.5 across by 5.5 tall and 5 across by 4.5 tall. Given the cost of koa and ebony, I’ve been testing the form with less expensive woods to make sure I like it before turning. Going forward, if I continue these shapes with different combinations, going to make sure the forms are more uniform across the sizes - these were eyeballed and it shows. Perspective is a little off in the pictures - mid band on the 2 larger is close to 2/3 up the height of the vessels.

RE: Latest turnings - Arlin Eastman - 01-12-2020

I like them.  They look like baskets and that is cool to me.  Just need to put on some handles.
Yes

RE: Latest turnings - Turner52 - 01-12-2020

Nice combination of wood. Looks great

RE: Latest turnings - EightFingers - 01-13-2020

That Koa looks nice!

Anyone know what Koa means in Hawaiian?

RE: Latest turnings - gear jammer - 01-13-2020

(01-13-2020, 02:24 AM)EightFingers Wrote: That Koa looks nice!

Anyone know what Koa means in Hawaiian?
My daughter lives there. If I remember correctly I believe it means tree. Also here it means a campground- KOA =Kamggrounds of  Ameica.

RE: Latest turnings - EightFingers - 01-17-2020

LOL

No, it means warrior.