Woodnet Forums
Toy report - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Toy report (/showthread.php?tid=7352661)

Pages: 1 2

Toy report - stoppy - 01-30-2020

Although I mentioned it in a post in the basement ***deleted*** thread, I thought a separate post appropriate here.  

Took the first set of completed basic toys(Cars, trucks, tractors and a bandsaw box) to the charity yesterday.  You would have thought I brought them a box of gold ingots from the incredible response we got.  I enjoyed making them and am really excited about the next batch.  Again the need was explained to me and I'm thrilled to do a very small part to help.  These wooden toys were all made from scraps and wood purchased from the cull bin at Home Depot @70% off.  I can't speak for other communities but I've got to believe the need is just as great everywhere for these simple toys.  

Once again yesterday, I thought of Larry and "always buy green bananas". I'm blest to be back in my woodshop, having fun doing something good.

RE: Toy report - Rob Young - 01-30-2020

(01-30-2020, 09:24 AM)stoppy Wrote: Although I mentioned it in a post in the basement ***deleted*** thread, I thought a separate post appropriate here.  

Took the first set of completed basic toys(Cars, trucks, tractors and a bandsaw box) to the charity yesterday.  You would have thought I brought them a box of gold ingots from the incredible response we got.  I enjoyed making them and am really excited about the next batch.  Again the need was explained to me and I'm thrilled to do a very small part to help.  These wooden toys were all made from scraps and wood purchased from the cull bin at Home Depot @70% off.  I can't speak for other communities but I've got to believe the need is just as great everywhere for these simple toys.  

Once again yesterday, I thought of Larry and "always buy green bananas". I'm blest to be back in my woodshop, having fun doing something good.

Well done!

Starting in about October, the Kansas City Woodworkers' Guild goes into toy-building mode. There are a couple of members who have made some pretty spiffy jigs to help them batch out cars, trucks, tractor-trailers, trains, etc. quickly and efficiently. Sure, it gets a little bit like a production line but it allows them to make hundred and hundreds at a time. They pretty much all go to charity or as give-aways when the KCWG is at things like MakerFaire.  They save up scrap from their projects, other projects and glue up blanks. So the stuff can be made from multiple species. Nobody seems to really mind the miss-match. A good way to use up small scrap as well as those last dregs of glue in a bottle that is approaching expiration.

And keeps a bunch of old codgers off the streets. (Not quite the same problem in this video, but you get the idea.)

RE: Toy report - Robin Dobbie - 01-30-2020

This is amazing and I think if everyone who could volunteer did, there'd be little misery in the world. I really think I need to make these kinds of things because I have a ton of scraps and little idea what to do with them. This would be perfect. Is the charity you worked with national or local?

Just a thought of caution, seems the majority of clearance lumber I've seen at HD is treated 2x lumber that's warped beyond acceptable limits. It doesn't always appear treated, some treated lumber doesn't even have that telltale green tint. So I have to look at the label and there it is. I'm always disappointed because wouldn't I love a 2x12 that's 20ft long for 70% off!

RE: Toy report - stoppy - 01-30-2020

I'm working with CAN (Child Abuse and Neglect Council. It just so happens the office here is a regional headquarters with five offices in adjacent counties. I don't know if it is a national organization but suspect it is. Since there is a federal child, abuse and neglect law I would think every community would have an organization to deal with it. I was looking for a local group that might need toys and I lucked out on my first call.

RE: Toy report - Bill Wilson - 01-30-2020

Our scroll saw club members make toys every year for Toys for Tots.  That is another organization that you could look into.

RE: Toy report - stoppy - 01-30-2020

Bill,
That was going to be my next call as i have friends involved in that program. Right now given my capabilities (ticker still rules around here) one charity is all I can handle.

RE: Toy report - goaliedad - 02-01-2020

What kind of lumber are you using? I am going to be breathing a lot of scrap 2 by for a while

RE: Toy report - stoppy - 02-01-2020

(02-01-2020, 06:15 AM)goaliedad Wrote: What kind of lumber are you using?  I am going to be breathing a lot of scrap 2 by for a while

Plain old 2x4’s. for the toy frames.

RE: Toy report - msweig - 02-01-2020

The Houston Woodworking Club does a similar thing. FYI, I think I've heard some of the people in the group mention that one place they get wood is housing construction sites. They will go up and tell the builder what they are doing and typically the builder is happy to give them cuttoffs they are going to trash anyway.

RE: Toy report - Robin Dobbie - 02-01-2020

When a friend was having his house built, I took a look in the dumpster and it's sickening what they throw away.