Woodnet Forums
Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? (/showthread.php?tid=7352913)

Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? - sweensdv2 - 02-12-2020

A friend has asked me to run some cedar boards he has thru my planer for him.  The boards he has are 2" x 8" x 8' long.  I'm a little concerned that they may be a little on the heavy side for my planer to pull them thru by itself.  I'm thinking that some roller stands on both the infeed and outfeed sides with maybe a little pushing here and there might do the job.  I've never run boards this long thru my planer before so I was wondering if anyone who has would share if this is something the DW-735 can handle?

RE: Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? - Stwood_ - 02-12-2020

Have someone on both ends so it won't tip the planer.
Dried cedar is pretty lightweight though.

RE: Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? - greenacres2 - 02-12-2020

As long as they're not wet, you'll be fine--but as suggested above i'd use 2 people to lift a tick at each end, or the drop-in/drop-out will snipe. Before you start, do a quick clean of the rollers and a GOOD waxing of the bed and the 735 will feed those fine.
I've never been able to get roller stands right enough to be functional, but i've run 10' long 10" wide hickory solo by feeding halfway then moving to the other side to catch--would have been easier with a partner though!!
earl

RE: Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? - Willyou - 02-12-2020

I frequently do this with even heavier material using my 734. However, it is bolted down to a base cabinet and I always use roller stands at each end. Sometimes a little helpful nudge is needed but, usually only to keep it going straight.

RE: Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? - GeeDub - 02-12-2020

The planer should experience very little of the weight.  Your infeed and outfeed supports will handle most of that.

[attachment=24038]

RE: Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? - MarkSingleton - 02-12-2020

No reason it should be a problem. Second the idea of a good cleaning of the rollers first
and wax the infeed and outfeed tables. Makes a lot of difference when I do it to mine.

RE: Can My DeWalt DW-735 Planer Handle This? - Bill Wilson - 02-13-2020

It will handle it just fine.  I've run red oak boards larger than that through my old 12" Delta.  The key, as has been said, is good, supplemental infeed & outfeed support.  I had an 8' melamine coated shelf board that I used.  I laid it through the planer bed, with blocks underneath to lock it in against the planer's infeed & outfeed tables,  so it wouldn't move.  Then I supported the ends with posts, keeping the entire length as close to flat and level as possible.  This gave me a continuous, flat surface that makes even jointing longer pieces easier, as I don't own a jointer.  The rollers pulled the heavy boards through no problem.  Just make sure the rollers are clean and the table is waxed.