Woodnet Forums
a ME Day Road Trip - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: a ME Day Road Trip (/showthread.php?tid=7353084)

a ME Day Road Trip - bandit571 - 02-22-2020

Had to get out of the house, by myself, to just go where ever I may roam.....

Headed south.....there is a HUGE Antique Center down in Springfield, OH area.....US 40 East.....through the village of Harmony....and almost to the on ramps of I-70....is a place called ....Heart of Ohio Antique Center.     Walked around....got maybe 1/2 way through all the "rooms" they have....and was worn out.  Found a few items...had to put 3 of them back....wasn't enough mad money for them, and a Maroon plane....

So...wound up with a $3 gents saw..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=24268]
And that maroon plane, @$25.....budget was $32.....at the checkout counter, the plane got a 10% discount.....The plane?
Confused  
[attachment=24272]
Not just any Millers Falls jack plane.....15" long, means this is a M-F No. 15.....
Winkgrin 
[attachment=24273]
Now..about the maroon paint job....seems the old owner/seller gave the entire plane a coating...
No 
[attachment=24274]
Hmmm
Angry  
[attachment=24275]
Handles and their bolts are WW2 era Type 3.   Paint?  We have ways...hardware cleaned up..some were almost rusted in place...
Rolleyes 
[attachment=24276]
Edge of the iron needed a wee bit of work
Rolleyes 
[attachment=24277]
Changed out the base's colour scheme...
[attachment=24278]
Face of the frog was cleaned off...threads were oiled up, lever cap's logo has the correct red paint infill...we gaining on it...
[attachment=24279]
Still has a tiny nick in the iron ( next sharpening will get that) but, the plane does work..
Winkgrin  
[attachment=24280]
So, now I have all three Millers Falls jack planes.....also have the #11 Junior Jack, the #14 regular Jack plane, and now the #15 Jumbo jack plane.

Rumour of a new Harbor Freight down that way.....had to drive clear across the town, Bechle Ave. area of stores, in beside Kohl's....is the H-F store...easily twice the size of the store in Lima, OH.....my belt/disc sanding machine needed new 6" PSA sanding discs....bought a 5-pack.  

Then headed home,  was too tired to walk around much more.  Not too bad of a day, though.....weather was nice and cloud free...could have been a bit warmer.

RE: a ME Day Road Trip - Tony Z - 02-22-2020

Been to that antique mega-mall a few times-worth the trip!

Love those M-F planes!

RE: a ME Day Road Trip - bandit571 - 02-22-2020

Ok...that set of Jack planes?
Confused 
[attachment=24298]
Most show off with a piece of Pine, when showing how sharp a plane is...how about Ash?
[attachment=24299]
With all them see-through shavings...this board took forever to do....how about some old, knotty White Oak?
[attachment=24300]
The "Before", and...
[attachment=24301]
The After.  I compared the "new" DT saw to the existing one I had...
Winkgrin
[attachment=24302]
Little saw has more teeth per inch...

that sanding disc from Harbor Freight? 
[attachment=24303]
Already installed one..
[attachment=24304]
So..wasn't too bad of a ME Day, was it?

RE: a ME Day Road Trip - toolmiser - 02-22-2020

Congrats on the plane. I've tried the HF sanding disks myself, and they don't seem to last very long. That might be me abusing them. Maybe others have an opinion? Don't really have much else of a source locally and can get expensive to ship if you don't have a large order.

RE: a ME Day Road Trip - bandit571 - 02-23-2020

I can walk into a Menard's store, and buy almost the same discs....
Rolleyes

Between that Antique Center and Hobby Lobby...I can get into trouble very quickly....
Winkgrin