Woodnet Forums
Small cabinet build-along - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Small cabinet build-along (/showthread.php?tid=7353183)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Small cabinet build-along - C. in Indy - 10-26-2020

It's looking great!

I also like making snug drawers and then planing them to fit well.

Chris

RE: Big question - Aram - 11-01-2020

Here is a little more progress. Yesterday was Halloween, so The Crow soundtrack, and Oingo Boingo Dead Man's Party. 

I finally glued the cabinet. Everything left to glue but the divider panels, which are still in loose at this point.
[Image: i-tVCkPct-M.jpg]

The mitered frame pieces were not exactly level with one another. A little card scraper work here, and on the top frame, took care of that quickly.
[Image: i-pLH7ssH-M.jpg]

I am pleased with the mitered top. It looks tight without gaps.
[Image: i-DPMPJZB-M.jpg]

I touched up the drawers a little with hand planes, then screwed and glued the drawer runners onto the dividers, touched up the divider fronts with a hand plane to get rid of a couple dings and to make them flush with the cabinet, and glued them in.
[Image: i-N7gRKNX-M.jpg]

RE: Big question - Aram - 11-02-2020

A friend pointed me towards Bear Family Records last year. I had never heard of them. They are a German label who release mostly American (as far as I can tell) sets on CD. I have the two Waylon Jennings box sets from them a while back, and they are fantastic. I listened to a little of that between making power tool noises.

I routed grooves in the sides of the drawers.

[Image: i-B6PjjpW-M.jpg]

The fronts intentionally overlap, so I can trim them for even reveals. Anyway, they don't look unbelievably crooked, so i think I can work with this. We'll see.

[Image: i-FcbHKbK-M.jpg]

RE: Big question - Aram - 11-08-2020

This is a build-along. When I screw up bad, you'll hear about it.

I had the drawer supports in like this. How long do you think they last before they break off? They are mostly not supported. That was stupid.

[Image: i-pR3jWwT-M.jpg]

I added these cross pieces. They are are glued all around. 
[Image: i-tp7Rx3D-M.jpg]

The next part went well. I used chisels and a router plane to extend the drawer grooves by the right amount, so that the runners act as stops. Also hand-planed the lips on the bottoms of the drawer fronts, which I had left a little long on purpose, for an initial fit.

[Image: i-9kpj72L-M.jpg]

[Image: i-bxnFxc9-M.jpg]

First fit is pretty good. I'll touch it up later for even reveals between the drawers. 
[Image: i-cHjdjFm-M.jpg]

The next part is bad. I was fitting the large drawers, and I managed to push the cabinet off the bench, onto the concrete floor. You probably heard me right afterwards. It could have been a lot worse. The only visible ding I see is on the top of one of the rear legs, and it's not huge. I can work something out. The drawers appear to be fine. Some of the cabinet joints separated a little, which alarmed me as I thought they were tight and glued well. I snuck in a little more liquid hide glue and clamped it again. That brings us up to now.

RE: Big question - Aram - 11-08-2020

Correction. The drawer I was fitting had one of the rear pins break off. Repair in process. Otherwise, it looks like this. So i have that going for me. Which is nice.

[Image: i-rwHVdjP-M.jpg]

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Bill Holt - 11-09-2020

Oh my gosh!!!  I think my heart would have stopped when the cabinet fell off of the bench.  It's looking pretty good, your craftmanship is paying off.

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Scoony - 11-09-2020

I have had parts fall off the bench. Yesterday a drawer front fell and dinged up a corner but it was a corner getting cut out for a half pin.

The cabinet is looking great.

RE: Big question - Aram - 11-09-2020

Drawers fitted, reveals as even as I could get them all around. Touched up the sides here and there to make them slide well. Hopefully, I allowed for the finish. I stuck the door in to see how it all looks together.

[Image: i-VZv8mff-M.jpg]

This is the first project I've done where I thought turned pulls would look good. I am not a turner. I'll have to carve something instead.

Johnny Hodges and Howlin' Wolf.

RE: Small cabinet build-along - TomFromStLouis - 11-13-2020

I am pretty sure I use similar tools and take as much care as you are doing here, but my work never looks this good. 

Yer pissin' me off.

Winkgrin

RE: Small cabinet build-along - Aram - 11-13-2020

(11-13-2020, 01:53 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: I am pretty sure I use similar tools and take as much care as you are doing here, but my work never looks this good. 

Yer pissin' me off.

Winkgrin

Thank you, sir 
Laugh