Woodnet Forums
Flattening a Beveled Inset - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Flattening a Beveled Inset (/showthread.php?tid=7353197)

Flattening a Beveled Inset - grwold - 02-27-2020

I'm building a Moxon vise, and am currently working on a beveled front edge for the top of the front chop.

[Image: gnfAX4BwsTgxujjrDxM4Of2UPyqGMHps16U-Oi23...0-h1024-no]
First I chopped out the heavy waste; since then I've been paring out the rest with a chisel.  I am finding it difficult to get a smooth finish though, so my question:  Is this a standard, normal method (paring with a sharp chisel) and I should just be patient and careful, or are there other tools/methods that I could be using that'll give a better chance at a nice, smooth finish?  Maybe a rasp, or a file?

RE: Flattening a Beveled Inset - bandit571 - 02-27-2020

Get a spokeshave.

RE: Flattening a Beveled Inset - Aram - 02-27-2020

Welcome to the forum!

As Bandit suggested, a spokeshave would go a long say toward smoothing it. You could also make an angled wood guide for your chisels. It looks like you are close already.

RE: Flattening a Beveled Inset - Derek Cohen - 02-28-2020

I would use a scraper, or scraper and spokeshave. A spokeshave alone would not get into both corners (one side would be against the grain). A fine file also works.

Regards from Perth

Derek

RE: Flattening a Beveled Inset - grwold - 02-28-2020

Thanks for the advice, guys. Much appreciated!

RE: Flattening a Beveled Inset - Scoony - 02-28-2020

I have a post down below titled Hand Tool Action. I am flattening the bottoms of some base molding using a small apron plan to get most of it, and a bull nose plane to get up to the edge.

You could use a small plane to get the center section, then chisels to get up to the corners.

RE: Flattening a Beveled Inset - bandit571 - 02-28-2020

Here is 2 out of the 3 spokeshaves I have, and use..
Cool
[attachment=24426]
Should work.

RE: Flattening a Beveled Inset - grwold - 02-28-2020

I am on the hunt for a spokeshave or two; I also now have an excuse to tune up the old bullhead plane I picked up a couple of months ago, and sharpen my scraper.

RE: Flattening a Beveled Inset - Arlin Eastman - 02-29-2020

Thank you for showing us what you are working on and welcome.