Woodnet Forums
Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball (/showthread.php?tid=7353279)

Pages: 1 2

Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - mtrainer90 - 03-03-2020

My first ever resin piece. spalted Crab Apple root ball with resin. Finished with Acks and OB shine Juice

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - bennybmn - 03-03-2020

Looks great!!

Second and third things I ever turned (just last year) were this mallet and lamp from Yew root balls from my front yard. CRAZY grain. I hit what I thought was a bark inclusion but turned out to be dirt.  My carbide tool got dull quick lol. But it turned out great so I can't complain.

[Image: 0e8USW7Jf0jV9SeKVhhwjLDjP_gl-IBtfsxqzj7X...84-h640-no]

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - hardinluke - 03-03-2020

Nice work! That turned out really well. Was that HVAC tape you used to contain the resin?

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - FrankAtl - 03-03-2020

Looks great! The video went too fast to tell, what was the finish?

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - EightFingers - 03-03-2020

Nice job!

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - Wipedout - 03-03-2020

Pictures?                                     .

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - Arlin Eastman - 03-03-2020

(03-03-2020, 02:19 PM)bennybmn Wrote: Looks great!!

Second and third things I ever turned (just last year) were this mallet and lamp from Yew root balls from my front yard. CRAZY grain. I hit what I thought was a bark inclusion but turned out to be dirt.  My carbide tool got dull quick lol. But it turned out great so I can't complain.

[Image: 0e8USW7Jf0jV9SeKVhhwjLDjP_gl-IBtfsxqzj7X...84-h640-no]

Benny

Is Yew nice to turn??  It sure looks nice.  I tried finding a piece that log that was 8" and I do not even see it for sale on EBay.   I like the lamp.

To poster.

I have not watched the video yet but will tomorrow.

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - bennybmn - 03-04-2020

It was nice to turn I think because it was green. It was a PAIN to clean off first, because I literally dug it out of my yard. Actually I yanked it out with my buddy's winch. And it's gnarly, so you need to watch out for pebbles and stuff.

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - Turner52 - 03-04-2020

That is a great video nd beautiful piece. How long did you let the root ball dry before turning?

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - AHill - 03-05-2020

Pretty spectacular grain and I like the resin additions. One suggestion for next time is to sand using some rotary attachment on a drill (e.g. Tim Skilton pads) or stop every once in awhile and sand from end to end to get rid of the circumferential grooves. Since you've applied a satin to high gloss finish, it's easy to see the sanding marks on the exterior of your vase. It's a common saying among many turners that you spend way more time sanding and finishing than you do turning.