Woodnet Forums
Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball (/showthread.php?tid=7353279)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - mtrainer90 - 03-18-2020

(03-03-2020, 04:11 PM)hardinluke Wrote: Nice work! That turned out really well. Was that HVAC tape you used to contain the resin?

For some reason I didnt get notified I had replies, sorry. No, Its an aviation tape. I decided to talk about it more in depth in my latest video since I figured people were going to have some questions about it

(03-03-2020, 04:16 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: Looks great! The video went too fast to tell, what was the finish?

Mylands sanding sealer, Acks woodpaste & OB shine juice

(03-03-2020, 07:23 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Pictures?                                     .

https://www.facebook.com/Trainersturning/photos/pcb.732024447329423/732024393996095/?type=3&theater

(03-04-2020, 08:37 PM)Turner52 Wrote: That is a great video nd beautiful piece. How long did you let the root ball dry before turning?

I had cut the tree down probably 5 years ago and then it sat outside. I baked it in the oven for a while after I rough turned it

(03-05-2020, 05:31 PM)AHill Wrote: Pretty spectacular grain and I like the resin additions.  One suggestion for next time is to sand using some rotary attachment on a drill (e.g. Tim Skilton pads) or stop every once in awhile and sand from end to end to get rid of the circumferential grooves.  Since you've applied a satin to high gloss finish, it's easy to see the sanding marks on the exterior of your vase.  It's a common saying among many turners that you spend way more time sanding and finishing than you do turning.

I always do a lot more sanding than I show in the videos, Its boring and no one really wants to see that part. When I was in aircraft maintenance school one of our projects was to sand a scratch the instructor put in an acrylic window with a knife. I know a thing or 2 about micromeshing and sanding which is probably why you cant see any sanding lines in this finished piece.

RE: Amazing grain- Crabapple root ball - Arlin Eastman - 03-20-2020

(03-18-2020, 11:10 AM)mtrainer90 Wrote: I always do a lot more sanding than I show in the videos, Its boring and no one really wants to see that part. When I was in aircraft maintenance school one of our projects was to sand a scratch the instructor put in an acrylic window with a knife. I know a thing or 2 about micromeshing and sanding which is probably why you cant see any sanding lines in this finished piece.

You in the sheetmetal shop??

I was in there for almost 20 years and the other out with the other services.

Back in 1994? (It might have been 93) I was the first one who was trained by the company and we did F-15 canopy's and F-16 later.  Came back and taught many others to use also.  Long process and hard to make sure there were no distortions in the canopy's tho.